WJ/ZJ Axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2003, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8150
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikeboy
WJ/ZJ Axles

I was just curious. What axles are used in the Grands and why does no one talk about them. It seems to me that with the V8 option they should at least have a D44 in the rear (if not front & rear) as opposed to the 30/35 combo of the XJs. Just curious b/c I've been lurking here for awhile and don't ever recall them being discussed.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21712
Re: WJ/ZJ Axles

Get rid of it. They call it an aluminum Dana 44 when its not a 44. Correct me if im wrong guys, but i believe that the bearing caps are an oddball size. Hardly any options out there for lockers. The only gears you can get are street or race gears for a Viper (also equipped with this rearend) that is all i know about this diff. Supposed to be week when used for hardcore wheeling.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 10319
Send a message via AIM to Norcaljr
93-95 grands come with the D35c
96-98 grands come with the D44a

The D44a's major issue is the lack of lockers for it. I think a traclock is about only option. As far as gears, you can find up to 4.56 for it.

I have not heard of one breaking due to the housing being made of aluminum. Its always the normal weak ass axle issues ( R&P, shafts, ect )
Norcaljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3152
Send a message via AIM to Trango Send a message via Yahoo to Trango
Aluminum 44's

First off, the WJ and ZJ axles are totally different. Soup to nuts totally different beasts, both front and rear.

ZJ fronts are basically TJ ABS fronts, more or less. ZJ 35c rears are well, not worth talking about, and the "Dana Super 44" aluminum centersectioned centersections are c clipped and... useless, especially when Sploder rear ends are so cheap and plentiful.

WJ fronts are a totally different WMS, bolt pattern, etc, than normal jeeps - the only good thing on these axles of note are the steering knuckles and brakes.

WJ rears are furthermore different. For some reason I remember the 35's being NON c clipped, and I'm sure that the Super 44's they put out back are taper bearings as well, although each axle does have a 4 link pad built in.

These are letdowns if you are looking for upgrades. That's why I went and done got me some fordy fours from some real trucks.

Bob
Old 08-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
Originally posted by Norcaljr
93-95 grands come with the D35c
96-98 grands come with the D44a

I hate to cry 'bullshit' but I know of a '96 ZJ in my garage with a D35 and a '98 in my parents driveway that also has a D35.......want to try again?

I'd be more inclined to believe that V8 ZJ's (all 249's, I believe) would have a AD44 and L6/242 ZJ's would have a D35.......just my opinion, but I don't know and apparently neither do you.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3152
Send a message via AIM to Trango Send a message via Yahoo to Trango
Who the fuck cares

Ok people, you have incurred the full wrath of my Geekiness. First off the 35c is a totally worthless axle (save the tonerings if anything) and so who cares about it where it's from. Second of all, why again are you crying BS if you yourself are not sure? Right. That's where someone like me comes in, with enough ZJ geek in me to cover everyone here plus the catering.

93-95 ZJ's and 96-98's are two different generations, with slight body, trim, engine, and drivetrain differences. The latter is what concerns us here.

ALL Gen I zj's have the 35c, whether they be 93-95 V8's with the 249, 93 "Wagoneer" (woody) ZJ's with the 242, or any of the Inline 6's produced with varying tcases (including the rare 5 speed option. Good to note that the 249's here are the NO LOW LOCK version, with a cranky Viscous coupling to boot. If you're like me and your ZJ is beat on hard, your axle and tcase are now serving new lives as food containers.

96 saw the implementation of the Super 44, which had seen previous deployment as the pusher in the Viper, and was chosen by Chrysler as the new beef to put behind the Gen II V8's, which also received the Low lock 249, finally making 4lo worth a damn. Inline 6's were still equipped with the apparently hotly debated Dana 35c, and both axles were c clipped until the Grand Cherokee line lost its chic square headlights. Honestly, the ZJ Super 44 is sort of a pile, but the new WJ Super 44 is actually beefier, with bigger tubes and better componentry. If someone made a locker for this, it would honestly be a pretty hot ticket.

Always amazed by pirate. So much anger!

Bob
Old 08-08-2003, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Re: Who the fuck cares

Quote:
Originally posted by Trango
Ok people, you have incurred the full wrath of my Geekiness. First off the 35c is a totally worthless axle (save the tonerings if anything) and so who cares about it where it's from. Second of all, why again are you crying BS if you yourself are not sure? Right. ...........................

The thing I'm sure on negates the above comment. Therefore I feel I should dispute it in case someone actually uses the 'search' button as is so often recommended (and wise, IMHO) and comes across some misinformation.

Granted D35C's are barely worth having under a stock rig and my wife's rig (the '96) has had enough seal issues, it's about to get the aforementioned F*rd 8.8 if it needs any more attention than the seal. I will not swap in an aluminum D44, as I feel they are almost as much of a problem as what I'd be throwing away....

I have always found it wise to correct any potential misinformation, even if it is on something somewhat trivial, to protect what I feel is a decent reference source. (search function in PBB works for me quite often).......
Old 08-08-2003, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8150
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikeboy
I wasn't looking to get an axle from one of these vehicles nor do I own 1. I was just curious as to what they were and why they were never talked about. As usual for this board I received the info I wanted to know as well as some specific tech info thrown in for free. Thanks for satiating my curiousity.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11799
Check my sig. What axles can I get that are a DIRECT BOLT-IN SWAP for my axle? From what I'm reading, I need a 93-95 GC D35c rear ONLY.

No other axle will swap right in. Is that correct?
rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10902
a 96 to 98 V8 will have the D44a with 3.73's that will bolt right in or find you another D35.

Shay
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4099
Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Quote:
Originally posted by rusted
Check my sig. What axles can I get that are a DIRECT BOLT-IN SWAP for my axle? From what I'm reading, I need a 93-95 GC D35c rear ONLY.

No other axle will swap right in. Is that correct?
This is PBB who gives a shit... Can ya not figure out how to install something else?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:40 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11799
Quote:
Originally posted by JEEP_TJ_FREAK

This is PBB who gives a shit... Can ya not figure out how to install something else?
Yep, but don't want to. It's my mom's DD. *I'd* never own a GC.
rusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 7847
Hmmm....I think you are all wrong.

I have a '99 WJ and my axles have these little turtle dudes on the diff covers

"Go Big or Go Home"
Mike_Lib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 22276
Sticking to the original question - can you use a D44 al axle?

I asked this question on another board and got about the same reception.

As above, the internals are different enough to keep from using standard lockers. So the makers have to tool up for something different - strike one.

The aluminum centersection cannot be used as a jacking point, per owners who read the FSM. Imagine coming down on a boulder. Strike two.

The steel tubes and al centersection have not been assembled at the factory right in too many cases, screwing up the bearing preloads, etc. Failures are not unknown at uncommon mileage. Strike three.

P.S. The Ford 9" al race carrier is accepted as having a higher breakdown rate due to flexing, pointing to material qualities, not design. It may be strong enough, but it's not designed stiffly enough.

This is the first I have seen aluminum in a production rear end, and this didn't prove it. Aw4, ok, 231, ok, "Viper" diff - not. Maybe the next generation will work - but I will do as I was told, buy a 44 and use the al axle for donor brakes.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8528

First off its a decent question so FAWK OFF!!

Second would not a TJ d44 fit...both are 4 link and coils
Old 11-02-2003, 08:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Quote:
Originally posted by NothernAZxj

First off its a decent question so FAWK OFF!!

Second would not a TJ d44 fit...both are 4 link and coils
Brian, this is a decent question for JU or NAGCA, but Pirate?? C'mon, I'm surprised Mo hasn't moved this yet.
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
gimme a chance! I don't live on the computer. Sheesh.

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Quote:
Originally posted by Mo
gimme a chance! I don't live on the computer. Sheesh.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 27577
Ok... lemme add somethings to what Trango said... The 92 Grand Wagoneer came only with a 5.2 and the 249. The only two options available were a limited slip and a CD player. They have the 35C in the rear and of course the wonderful Wooden sides ;-) making look nicely like a grocery getter... however I've seen a few places where Chrysler refers to this specific vehicle as an SJ instead of a standard ZJ in their parts books and such.
peramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7876
Quote:
Originally posted by peramus
Ok... lemme add somethings to what Trango said... The 92 Grand Wagoneer came only with a 5.2 and the 249. The only two options available were a limited slip and a CD player. They have the 35C in the rear and of course the wonderful Wooden sides ;-) making look nicely like a grocery getter... however I've seen a few places where Chrysler refers to this specific vehicle as an SJ instead of a standard ZJ in their parts books and such.
Great first post noob.

There was no grand of any kind in '92 AFAIK. The full-size grands(SJ's) were discontinued in '91 and the downsized/unibody Grand Cherokee/Wagoneer(ZJ) didn't start until '93
Old 02-22-2004, 09:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 27577
argh... stupid internet...

Last edited by peramus; 02-22-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 27577
Sorry... I get a stupid star... I meant 93. The grand Cherokee with the wooden sides...

HOWEVER... What you're saying is the SJ refers to the old body style? Or the XJ with wooden sides? OK... Maybe I need to go slap my local Jeep Parts Dept Guy... Might explain why I couldn't find the right stupid switch for my Jeep... Stupid chrysler...

Alrighty... However besides the date and being misinformed by chrysler... The 93! Grand waggy did only come in quadra-trac with the 249. And I don't think it had the option for the crap-olat 44a.

Sorry if you may find my post Noobish, but when you spend 6 months in the desert doing nothing your brain starts to go into underdrive...