Thinking of buying land for off roading - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22807
Thinking of buying land for off roading

I have come across a peice of land that is super cheaper. It is 160 acres and is located in Wickenburg, AZ. Now I realize that 160 acres isn;t huge but I think it is sufficient to have quite a bit of fun. First does anybody know what the value of land in that area is probably worth? Second it is currently claimed as a gold mining area. So does anybody know if there will be any trouble with using if for off roading (no mining)? Lastly and most exciting for all of you is I was wondering how many people would like to make bunches of trails on this land should I choose to buy it? Give me some feed back tell me what you think
isozelmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3563
On my last trip to Vegas all I could think about between Wickenburg and Kingman was how much great wheeling must be out there untapped. Everywhere I looked I saw what looked to be great wheeling terrain. If you had a lot of time and energy you could try talking to the city of Wickenburg about setting up an off road park. They don't have anything else going on, maybe they'd be glad to see some wheeler dollars coming in to the local economy. It's close enough to Phoenix I'd drag my pile out there for a weekend and wheel if there were trails. Something to think about.

Travis
Old 10-03-2003, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1050
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert
All of that Arizona land holds great wheeling potential.
If you decide to open the land up to others, explore ALL of the legal issues as far as liabilities. Even if you just wheel the land with your friends, you open yourself up to some major lawsuit action.
Just the world we live in now.

Other than that, I would love to own 160 acres in AZ.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
RDD

Member # 23203
I would definately check into al the legal issues. Do some searches on realtor.com in that area for pricing. As far as zoning again you most likely wouldnt have a problem but check with the town or a lawyer
RDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14505
It's a mine claim? Does that mean that it's state land, or is it private? Just wondering who you would be buying from.

I'd love to set up a private-public offroad park in the area. I live 20 minutes from Wickenburg. It's a great area up there.

Rio
rioshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9311
Do a search in the General Chit Chat forum, There was a real good thread on this a while back.
kozaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 22807
does anybody out there have any suggestions on where to look into the legalities. I have no clue. Couldn't just make up some waiver that was modeled after some other off road park's and get by with that?
Old 10-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 17655
My pipe dream is something similar.

Buy a large plot of land(in new england). Clear a section for a small paved road course(suitable for club racers and Kart drivers).
in the wooded area around it, build trails for the off-road folks.
Basicly having a unified motorsports park, hosting all disciplines of motorsports. Club tracks generally rent out for thousands for the weekend.
Advantages could be had for both groups as you could have "pit" facilities that all could share.
Also thinking about a built in campground and maybe a bunk house.
Got to win the lottery first.
-97 Audi A4 1.8tq
and an 81 Cj-8 project
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3563
Quote:
Originally posted by isozelmonic
does anybody out there have any suggestions on where to look into the legalities. I have no clue. Couldn't just make up some waiver that was modeled after some other off road park's and get by with that?

I don't know what your finacial situation is but unless you're fairly wealthy I think going at it on your own might be next to impossible. Lawyers are going to eat you alive. The ones on your side will want $$$$ to make you safe, and the other guys will get $$$$$$ out of you when they find a way around the others lawyers dealings. A simple waiver won't do shit, it's sad but true. You could build an awesome park but one bastard suing over a stubbeed toe could do you in. Even if he lost the suit lawyer fees alone would be a small fortune.

If you have the time and energy I'd seriously condiser talking to every town from Wickenburg to Kingman. Tell them you're interested in starting an off road park in their area which would bring tourism dollars into their town. Perhaps you could get one to donate a chunk of land. Set it up so it can handle Rock crawling comps, motoX, short course racing ect. and that would be a fair amount of money being pumped into the local economy. If haven't already do a search, this has been discussed several times. Check out Avalanche Ranch for some ideas. Good luck, if you build it, they will come.

Travis
Old 10-03-2003, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 22853
Be cautious of the sierra club or any eco freindly group they will find some butterfly or insect and claim it is native to the habitat and say that it is affecting the environment by 4 wheeling there and file suit. So cover that aspect as well. It does look very inviting in that area. One other thing about that area it is a big speed trap if I remember right its 25 MPH.
vegasvalley4wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3563
Good advice, dust and noise are going to need to be adressed too.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 22807
You guys make it sound like I'm trying to go into business. All I want is someplace where off roaders of like minds can go and have without having to worry about anthing. I mean it will be my personal land and I really don't care it gets ripped up. That's what I want to happen to it. Do keep in mind though that I might have to enact a small fee (i was thinking just a couple of bucks) to pay for any maitance, but nothing big.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22807
Oh ya I forgot to mention that the area of the land is pretty remote. Its not actually in Wickenburg, but it is real close by. The land is actually a mile from the old Vulture mine.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 22807
Ok now I have all the info. The land is a 160 acre unpatented mining claim. I can by it for less than 5k if I wanted to use the land for anything other than mining I would have to patent the land. Well the problem there I do not know how to patent land and if it is hard. Does anybody out there know about patenting mining land?
Old 10-03-2003, 07:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 18371
160 acres for 5k$ , jesus im gonna have to buy some land there lol
INFAMOUSBUTCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Send a message via AIM to Roxywheels Send a message via Yahoo to Roxywheels
Quote:
Originally posted by isozelmonic
You guys make it sound like I'm trying to go into business. All I want is someplace where off roaders of like minds can go and have without having to worry about anthing. I mean it will be my personal land and I really don't care it gets ripped up. That's what I want to happen to it. Do keep in mind though that I might have to enact a small fee (i was thinking just a couple of bucks) to pay for any maitance, but nothing big.
Once you enact that small fee you are in business and liable for what happens on your land
Old 10-04-2003, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Porch Monkey

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
incorporate it out of a state that has anonymous business owners,like delaware(I think). then If anybody gets sued, it is the corporation that has no funds, and not you. has anybody notice rubicon spring is owned by a corporation now and not soul proprietership. take a look at the sign heading in from big sluice.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 03:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Porch Monkey

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
as far a charging entrance fees. just accept cash only, and make it disappear with a non-reliable employee, maybe it does not ever make it to the bank, if you know what I mean.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote