Crap, For Fun, Rear Steer - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2003, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23619
Crap, For Fun, Rear Steer

K, heres the deal. My buddy just traded a 14 bolt for a complete jeep. 50's model Willys. Don't know if it runs yet so thats first on the list of things to do.

Heres the question and hopefully fun part. Can I flip a low pinion waggy narrowtrack axle over and run it in the rear.

Plus's- Instant High Pinion, Instant High steer for the rams, although its behind the axle, (hydorolics are free for us), SIMPLE!!

Negitives I can think of- Gears run on the weaker coast side, I'm not sure how well it will oil the gears(figure top speed to be 35-40 mph), Others???

Probably run a d30 out of a cherokee and link the front, leaf the rear.

This projects goal is to be the cheapest built rear steer vehicle ever

Im not quite sure how I can get the rear driveshaft worked out yet, but if im not mistakin, the willys will have an offset rear d-shart output. Passengerside. When I flip my axle over it will become passenger side.

Planin on 33" tires and linoln locked. CHEAP!!!

AGAIN, THIS HAS TO BE DONE CHEAP!!!!!

Lets here it. I searched and only found a couple things on it. Most of then were with mid or rear engine. If I dont get any resopnses, I'll send this over to reg tech.
mudduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 11914
Re: Crap, For Fun, Rear Steer

Quote:
Originally posted by mudduck1

Heres the question and hopefully fun part. Can I flip a low pinion waggy narrowtrack axle over and run it in the rear.

Plus's- Instant High Pinion, Instant High steer for the rams, although its behind the axle, (hydorolics are free for us), SIMPLE!!

Negitives I can think of- Gears run on the weaker coast side, I'm not sure how well it will oil the gears(figure top speed to be 35-40 mph), Others???

No, you can not do this.
1978CJ5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2003, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21548
to achieve what you want, you would have to rotate the driveshafts in the opposite direction.

rotating the axle 180 deg. does not accomplish this because the shaft is still turning the same direction.

a marine motor that turns the opposite direction would work, assuming the tranny and t case would work.

nice thought though