Leaf Spring Tech - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2004, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13156
Leaf Spring Tech

I am getting ready to put longer springs under my Jeep, and after mocking it up developed a question about leaf springs in general. If you redrill your center pin back and it ends up on the rear quarter of the ellipse will the ride be really crappy. Normally springs are offset to be close to the center of the ellipse so that when the suspension cycles it forces the axles up. My set up will force the axle up and towards the front of the vehicle. Common sense tells me to find some different springs, but I already have these....

What would your opinion be???
Old 01-25-2004, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20208
Location: Pollock Pines, but dont worry, I decided to keep my full set of teeth, unlike most everyone else up here...
In my opinion, your asking for problems if you re-drill your springs.
Even if you drill the hole close enough to the original hole, so as to clamp the original hole between the spring pad and plate, the risk of breaking the spring is substantially increased. Besides, the new hole is a weak point as well. It is added after the heat treating and shot peening process, and will create a stress riser.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26602
IIRC it can be damn hard to drill into leaf springs. They are generally HARD, as hard or harder than most drill bits and would require quite a bit of annealing to machnie or drill.

That said, i have been out of the jeep sceen a while, is it a common thing to get springe re drilled?
Mike95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1007
Jesus does anybody want to answer the question? FYI the question was not what you think about drilling the leafs.

I dont have a definate answer to your question. I do run F150's with the long side forward and also an extra inch so I am well into the back half of the spring. It rides good though. I would think if your trying for a perfect daily driver then your theory would apply though. You would want your axle located in the front half or atleast in the middle ideally but it will work on the back. Alot would have to do with the shackle moving instead of just the spring.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 01-26-2004 at 02:37 AM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13156
Erik - thanks for the answer. I was of the same opinion just wanted to double check. Guess its time to grab the drill bits and the drill doctor!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 943
In a way they did answer his question Erik. Drilling the springs would be a waste of time not only because it is hard to do but also has been noted to increase failure rate. So if you take this as advice it could be stated that by his question it is a waste of time find other springs.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25717
I've re-drilled spring packs countless times and never had any strength issues. They are also not difficult to drill. Use a solid carbide bit in a press with cutting fluid. Once you start to drill, do not let the pressure off until you go through the pack. It's as easy as any mild steel if done correctly.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13156
Quote:
Originally posted by ky1tonyj
I've re-drilled spring packs countless times and never had any strength issues. They are also not difficult to drill. Use a solid carbide bit in a press with cutting fluid. Once you start to drill, do not let the pressure off until you go through the pack. It's as easy as any mild steel if done correctly.
This was the same thing that I was told by another friend that is helping me. I was somewhat worried about the ride, but with it being a trail rig I am not to concerned anymore. I am going to fab it and try it and if I don't like it - I will change it.