so when building a cage.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 16664
Send a message via AIM to pyros46290
so when building a cage....

i know each rig will have its own application for a cage and what is eventually put in them will be a custom job nomatter what. ive been wondering what kind of real planning goes on when making lets say a 4 point cage. it seems like what everyone does is get drunk and bend up some tube so it looks good and weld it in there. i know there are all kinds of measurements and whatnot, but when it comes to the overall strength of the cage, what kind of considerations are made? i know there are a few out there with autocad, but for those who do not go that route, is it just experience that plays the role here of where/how to put tubes and how to run them to the frame, or am i thinking about this too hard?
pyros46290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 943
There are many many posts about gusseting and "nodes" I think was the term for bringing as many bars together in one spot for added strength. Cross bracing is another factor.

Im sure a lot could be learned with a search
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2004, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16664
cool, thanks for the tip. i read a thread about using nodes rather than putting tubes "in bending" i think i have a lil better understanding. looking at step-by-step buildup pics helped me understand this a little better too...
Old 03-05-2004, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2569
start bending and keep adding

usually i have an idea of the look im going for...

i start with the floor plates because there are only so many places they can go.
then the main hoop
front then rear
then add spreaders,x brace,gussets etc where they need to be to strengthen it

SWAY AWAY airs at 220 ea the rest 10% off retail
DUDENBEAR 10% off retail
RUBICON XPRESS buy 4 or more at 28$ ea
AIR MANAGMENT
ETC ETC

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Lime"][FONT="Impact"]WWW.WICKEDFABRICATION.COM[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

WickedFabrication.com[/URL] [/SIZE]

[email]SALES@WICKEDFABRICATION.com[/email]

408-898-6210
71RCKCRZR RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14423
I am a long way from building my cage however, I have learned quite a bit from this site. Search for terms such as cage critique, cage opinions etc. Almost every thread like this will have sketches and modifications of the current design along with insightful discussion (and flames). Also, look at bends and try to imagine how various cage styles would work in your vehicle.
I will take side profile photos of whatever I end up caging and make copies to draw on long before I start bending. (I have time, no bender or welder yet)
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 19397
Send a message via AIM to J33P_XJ_89
you got it right....you get yourself real drunk...im not talking about the kinda drunk where you piss yourself..more like the kinda drunk where you piss on someone else! and then you get to bending.....you bend anything and everything metal in sight...and then weld it all together wherever you feel like it...it really doesnt matter...once your done...you sober up and look at the trash you've created....then you wheel it...roll it..and see how well your welds hold up when decide to weld while drunk....

or....you take these guys advice....theirs is alright..mine is better....
Old 03-05-2004, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 943
Quote:
Originally posted by J33P_XJ_89
you got it right....you get yourself real drunk...im not talking about the kinda drunk where you piss yourself..more like the kinda drunk where you piss on someone else! and then you get to bending.....you bend anything and everything metal in sight...and then weld it all together wherever you feel like it...it really doesnt matter...once your done...you sober up and look at the trash you've created....then you wheel it...roll it..and see how well your welds hold up when decide to weld while drunk....

or....you take these guys advice....theirs is alright..mine is better....

This is suppose to be for newbie questions not newbie answers, just a little more useless crap like this and you can lose the newbie title huh
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
In GOD we trust. USA

Member # 15480
If you don't weld or haven't done tube work, I'd say a cage is not the place to start solo....at a minumum, post your plans here first to get the once over.

I bought a kit and added to it...spot welding the whole way, then took it to a professional welder. From my limited experience, tube fitment, especially in funky corners or long joints are tricky to get tight. Tight is good because it translates into strength.

I went with the poison spyder full weld in cage and added to it.

Lastly, why not go 6 point with the cage?

<-- AVATAR for Concealed Carry Weapons permits in the U.S. over time: No issue / May issue / Shall issue / Constitutional carry- No restrictions / FROM 1986 to today

Last edited by NoJoke; 03-05-2004 at 04:59 PM.
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 16664
i wasnt planning on making a cage until i get a LOT more welding experience. im in my second semester of a welding class and im getting better but there are alot of places where i just need more time. i understand the actual fabrication, its the design part. considering this will be the thing designed to save my life if i need it to, i want to take some kind of an educated approach at building it
Old 03-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 19397
Send a message via AIM to J33P_XJ_89
Quote:
Originally posted by The Joker

This is suppose to be for newbie questions not newbie answers, just a little more useless crap like this and you can lose the newbie title huh

waaaaaaaaaa.....i can see the tears streaming down your face....stfu ....apparently no one can joke with someone while your around...what are you? the humor nazi? get a clue....
Old 03-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 10714
The first step I think of when building a cage is to evaluate how you will use the vehicle and what type of rollover forces you will deal with. Overkill is a good idea when building a cage, but you can overkill overkill. Study as many different pics of cages you can find for ideas, and not necessarily only identicle rigs. Check out other areas than rockcrawling (such as desert race trucks) for more inspiration. Also do some searches on here for pics of rollcages that have been recked to see where they failed.

Also, if your rig is anything less than a full zoot dedicated rockcrawler, you'll likely have to make some concessions in design for things like ease of entry, headroom, glovebox/window access, top clearance, etc, etc. You should spend a lot of time staring at the vehicle. After you have bent some bumpers, sliders, etc you will have better knowledge of using your bender and a nice little pile of screwups. After you reap all of the usable straight tube from the screw ups hang onto the bent pieces and stash them out of the way. They come in handy when you're at the design standpoint because you can use them for mocking up angles and get a better visualization. It also makes it easier to figure out how much tube you'll use up in a given bend.
stocker75 is offline   Reply With Quote