DMV question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27345
DMV question

how long before a car goes off the computers? a friend has a "project" (really a big pile of toy parts that used to be a truck) but he owes something like $400 in plates, fines, etc. if i stash it long enough will all of that go away?

alfio

Last edited by little a; 04-02-2004 at 11:10 PM.
little a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
I dont believe so because the lien is still recorded in a county court house somewhere. as to the title going off the computer i dont know.

FYI the bank can consider that posetion of stolen property since they actually have a lien aka claim to ownership, posetion is not entirely 9/10 of the law when it comes to this stuff. Be careful is all im saying. I ussually scrap the body and vin#'s where ever they are as soon as i can if i buy one without a title.

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21648
3 to 5 years depending on when they microfish and then purge the puter of old unregistered vehicles.

....and that means not even a parking ticket in that time, any requests for information on that vehicle will kick it back to the top.

It will basicly have to fall off the face of the earth for 3 years before it will be dropped from the DMV puter.
Rocksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 28273
He'd probably be best off making those parts appear under a different title. Buy a wreck or find someone selling a clean title that can be applied to the rig.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 27345
Quote:
Originally posted by Rocksurfer
3 to 5 years depending on when they microfish and then purge the puter of old unregistered vehicles.

....and that means not even a parking ticket in that time, any requests for information on that vehicle will kick it back to the top.

It will basicly have to fall off the face of the earth for 3 years before it will be dropped from the DMV puter.
does going to the DMV to see how much the fees are count? if so, he's got a long wait ahead (just did it last month). otherwise the three years are almost up, i think the plates expired in march of '01.

alfio
Old 04-03-2004, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11259
I t took me all of about 2 minutes to find this.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr14.htm

If he went to DMV and they brought it up in the computer he has another 4 years to wait.
chickenass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21648
Quote:
Originally posted by little a

does going to the DMV to see how much the fees are count? if so, he's got a long wait ahead (just did it last month). otherwise the three years are almost up, i think the plates expired in march of '01.

alfio
No, just if you start any registration proccessing, such as a notice of release of liability, or start to put it in your name.
Rocksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 27345
Quote:
No, just if you start any registration proccessing, such as a notice of release of liability, or start to put it in your name.
nothing like that yet. it's been signed over but no other action. original registration expired march of '01, and he last checked on fees in december of '03 (even though apparently it doesn't matter). so after it goes off the computer (i'm assuming march of '05) i can register it without fees? seems weird the DMV would just let that cash go..

alfio