1990-1995 4Runners - !HELP! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29013
Exclamation 1990-1995 4Runners - !HELP!

hey all, i need to know which year 2nd gen. 4runners were made bestfor offroadin' abilities. i know that 1st gen runners r best, etc.. but i don't want one at the moment.
i also need to know whats best to get it with -- 5spd/v6 or an auto/v6 or w/e else is best. pls let me know! i need to know all about 2nd gen 4runners

Last edited by avtO; 04-08-2004 at 09:23 PM.
avtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4703
well all runners 89-95 are the SAME. But if it were me I would look for a 22RE with a 5spd. Good luck finding one. There were not that many made. But there is a few out there.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2004, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20740
No front straight axle, no good.
Orangecrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29013
22RE with 5spd?

hey OffroadRunner, whats 22re? jst wonderin.. no clue what it is, im jst a newbie trying to learn shit about offroadin, etc..
Old 04-08-2004, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
RMW
Moo 2 U

Member # 16565
Send a message via AIM to RMW Send a message via Yahoo to RMW
Re: 22RE with 5spd?

Quote:
Originally posted by avtO
hey OffroadRunner, whats 22re? jst wonderin.. no clue what it is, im jst a newbie trying to learn shit about offroadin, etc..
its the 4cyl EFI (electronic fuel injected) engine that came in a wide range of toyotas (starting in 85). stay away from the V6 - some are okay - most have head gasket problems. either way - get yourself a 5spd.

oh and i still think you should get a 1st gen.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27544
IMO, I'd say the same, just look for one with the 22re and a 5sp. It's a great place to start. Lots of work ahead if you really want to make it into a wheeler, but will handle most reasonable stuff.
Oh, and get ready to spend some time looking. The venerated '85 EFI 4Runner can be a real b*tch to find, but I swear the 2nd gen. 4cyl/5sp are even tougher. It took me 3 months to find mine and I wound up having to drive 600 miles round trip to pick it up all while my '85 EFI sat at home in the garage.
In theory, there is a 2nd gen out there that came with the w56 transmission, gear drive transfercase, and locking hubs, but in months of searching I never saw a single one listed anywhere.
Thanks to Marlin from Marlincrawler.com I do know this bit of info:
The only 2nd gens to have this combo were the following model numbers:
RN130L-GKMSEA 4/89-8/92', and RN130L-GKPSEA 4/89-8/93'

Hope you can find one! Sure wish I had. I finally gave up and got a '93 with a g58, chain drive and ADD. I generally don't wheel hard so I'll just leave them in there till something breaks then swap out to the w56 with the gear drive transfercase.
When you can't find one, give up and buy my '85 LOL!

Last edited by fahrenheit 451; 04-08-2004 at 08:27 PM.
fahrenheit 451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14367
Send a message via MSN to myeyesore
Read the Toyota FAQ (top of toyota board) read the whole thing, a lot of it will probably be over your head it gets pretty technical, but itll help you figure everything out. From trannys, tcases, engines, axles, its all there read, read, read.
myeyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4703
Quote:
Originally posted by fahrenheit 451
IMO, I'd say the same, just look for one with the 22re and a 5sp. It's a great place to start. .................................................. .................................................. . The venerated '85 EFI 4Runner can be a real b*tch to find,
When you can't find one, give up and buy my '85 LOL!
no way not a real bitch to find
no dont buy his look here
Old 04-08-2004, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29013
no thx offroadrunner.. but i appriciate u for replying.

still need some help on wat year v6/5spd 4runner i shud get!! i cant find the faq of yotas.. anyone?
Old 04-09-2004, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4703
FAQ here

Dude if you want to survive here better learn how to SEARCH.

FAQ stays sticky at the top of the TOY Forum.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4703
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadRunner
well all runners 89-95 are the SAME.

what part of that don't you get......... They are the SAME identical, mirror images, only difference would be int and ext colors.

Damn fella we are trying to help ya but you need to help your self just a little.

Last edited by OffroadRunner; 04-09-2004 at 07:50 AM.
OffroadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 27544
Quote:

no way not a real bitch to find
no dont buy his look here
I did qualify it with "can be"
You gotta admit there sure are a hell of a lot of guys that post that they can't come up with one and finally just do an SAS on a '86-89. Seems like somebody on here or Yotatech recently posted on finally buying an '85 and they went from Philadelphia to California to get it.
I do think a lot of them need to look harder. Between my last two 4Runners, I drove a total of 1100-1200 miles to get them and I'd do it again. 4Runners are worth the trip!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 4703
Quote:
Originally posted by fahrenheit 451

I did qualify it with "can be"
You gotta admit there sure are a hell of a lot of guys that post that they can't come up with one and finally just do an SAS on a '86-89. Seems like somebody on here or Yotatech recently posted on finally buying an '85 and they went from Philadelphia to California to get it.
I do think a lot of them need to look harder. Between my last two 4Runners, I drove a total of 1100-1200 miles to get them and I'd do it again. 4Runners are worth the trip!
Its really about the same work to do an SAS anyway only difference being you dont have to drill the holes in the frame but you have to mount the IFS box. 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other.

BTW it took me about 3 years to find my 85 Runner. Now i have to sell it
Old 04-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2387
Send a message via AIM to Lowtorious
Did you not read any of the posts that were in the other threads that you started about this same topic?? You've got like 3 threads about what 4Runner to buy, one in, the Toy section, one if Gen4x4 and another here, in the Newbie section which is where you need to hangout for a while. I pretty much spelled it all out for you in one of them and I know I said SEARCH the site.

Last edited by Lowtorious; 04-09-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Lowtorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4703
Damn Andy really...... Some people. I guess he is hoping someone will just drop one off in front of his house while he is sleeping. Some poeple just don't Fawking get it.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 25600
Quote:
Originally posted by Lowtorious
Did you not read any of the posts that were in the other threads that you started about this same topic?? You've got like 3 threads about what 4Runner to buy, one in, the Toy section, one if Gen4x4 and another here, in the Newbie section which is where you need to hangout for a while. I pretty much spelled it all out for you in one of them and I know I said SEARCH the site.

This is getting old, he doesnt want to do his homework! Were not going to buy you a truck and give you the keys! Were are also fed up of replying the same thing over and over.

Just leave and go buy a 4 door jeep!
Old 04-10-2004, 08:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29013
don't be hating.

don't be hatin' guys.. im in the learnin' process. i know im new, and everytime i posted a thread, i'd never get a good answer. sry for w/e i've done, im still jst a kid at this.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13062
Send a message via AIM to PhattieD
Quote:

well all runners 89-95 are the SAME.

Quote:

what part of that don't you get......... They are the SAME identical, mirror images, only difference would be int and ext colors.

Damn fella we are trying to help ya but you need to help your self just a little.

Get your info right before chewing the newbie

1989 4Runners have 1st generation bodies, and are easier to find in a 4cyl. 1990 was the first year of the 2nd generation body style. From 1990-1995 you could get the V6 or the 22RE, either one with a manual or automatic. In 1992 the front bumper/grill/lights changed, as well as some other minor touches (rock guards on rear quarter painted to match, etc.).
Old 04-10-2004, 10:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 21675
Send a message via AIM to luvmeye22RE
Nice work phattieD. I was just about to chime in with it. The 90 Runners if they are a true 90 even had two doors with the 2nd gen body style. Suspension wise all 2nd gen are the same, torsion bar front and coil spring rear. Take a look around Avt0, and buy the $runner that you love when you drive it. As you progress and start to break shit you will know what to do if you stick with this board and absorb info. Absorb absorb absorb. The 2nd gen 4Runner is a good platform to start with. I have had 3 stocker toys from 1st gen pickup to a 99 tacoma, all of which would perform the tasks that you will likely be putting yours through. Its not like your going to buy a stocker and drive straight to the hammers right? And another thought to everyone in the NEWBIE forum with an attitude, if you have no patience for newb questions like mine or others then go to your tech section, and you wont have to deal with it as much. After all it is a forum designed to keep you two away from eachother so helpful people can answer these questions.
luvmeye22RE is offline   Reply With Quote