4th Gen Ram 1500 steering wobbles on bumps - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
LB7 Tahoe

Member # 41695
4th Gen Ram 1500 steering wobbles on bumps

I just inherited a 2013 Ram 1500 CCSB 4x4 from my father in law after he bought a new truck. It has around 110k miles on it and is 100% bone stock. I figured I may as well drive it as a commuter to save the miles on my 1 ton.

The only issue I've noticed with the truck is that the steering wobbles viciously for a split second when you hit a bump while turning. Even just expansion joint bumps on the freeway while banking around a gentle turn will make the truck shudder violently. The steering wheel shakes back and forth and obviously the wheels do as well because the truck will dart in the direction of the turn. It does this at almost any speed, even turning a corner and hitting a pot hole while going 10 - 15 mph will result in a wobble. It recovers quickly, but I could see it sending you for a skid on icy roads.

There is no obvious wear anywhere in the front suspension and my father in law told me it has done that since new and that he just got used to it.

Is this normal for one of these trucks or is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm a bit spoiled with the one finger drive of my Sierra HD, so this feels like a serious issue to me.

1995 Chevy Tahoe with LB7 Duramax / ZF6 / NP241. SAS'd on 1 tons with lockers and 37s
SierraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 341914
does it have a steering stabilizer? is it hooked up? is it any good?
taylorbok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
mooo

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
LB7 Tahoe

Member # 41695
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbok View Post
does it have a steering stabilizer? is it hooked up? is it any good?
These trucks have rack and pinion steering. No stabilizer.

1995 Chevy Tahoe with LB7 Duramax / ZF6 / NP241. SAS'd on 1 tons with lockers and 37s
Old 03-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 113606
Bring it in for an alignment first off.

Second, sell that pos dodge as soon as possible.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin

It wasn't a little "achoo". It was "achsshemmiddtpppthpphphphphtsmmmppp...spray".

Last edited by j20brett; 03-21-2017 at 05:42 AM.
j20brett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
RXT

Member # 493505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraClassic View Post
I just inherited a 2013 Ram 1500 CCSB 4x4 from my father in law after he bought a new truck. It has around 110k miles on it and is 100% bone stock. I figured I may as well drive it as a commuter to save the miles on my 1 ton.

The only issue I've noticed with the truck is that the steering wobbles viciously for a split second when you hit a bump while turning. Even just expansion joint bumps on the freeway while banking around a gentle turn will make the truck shudder violently. The steering wheel shakes back and forth and obviously the wheels do as well because the truck will dart in the direction of the turn. It does this at almost any speed, even turning a corner and hitting a pot hole while going 10 - 15 mph will result in a wobble. It recovers quickly, but I could see it sending you for a skid on icy roads.

There is no obvious wear anywhere in the front suspension and my father in law told me it has done that since new and that he just got used to it.

Is this normal for one of these trucks or is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm a bit spoiled with the one finger drive of my Sierra HD, so this feels like a serious issue to me.
There are a number of possible problems that can result in death wobble. Places to look are;

Steering system;
-Make sure the rack isn't loose, look for missing bolts, cracks in the mounting points on both the frame and rack unit.

-Make sure the tie rod ends aren't worn out or loose.

-Make sure the joint, where the steering column attaches to the rack isn't loose or worn

-Make sure steering column, from the wheel to the rack is tight (especially the joint which allows the wheel to tilt)

Suspension system;
-Check the shocks

-Check all the bushings. These are the upper and lower control arm bushings.

-Check the ball joints, both upper and lower

-Check the wheel bearings

-Make sure the alignment is in check

-Check the front tires. Make sure they at correct pressure, and rims aren't bent. Rotate the rear tires to the front, see if there is any difference.

Ed
Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
Does it have a leveling kit on it? I did a 2009ish Dodge once. With the leveling kit it always had a shimmy. So I ended up lowering it to little bit less than level and it drove fine.

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
LB7 Tahoe

Member # 41695
All stock! Not a thing done to it since new.

I'll go through the whole front end and see if I can find anything loose. Initial look didn't turn up any slop or unwanted movement anywhere. Might just be the rack isn't beefy enough for the application it is in.

Thanks for the replies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.