Pirate 4x4 banner

Can you use a coolant temp gauge for oil temp?

15K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sachilles 
#1 ·
Longs story short, I'm installing some gauges in my truck.
I only have room in my dash for 1 1/2 inch gauges. I have not been able to find an oil temp gauge in that size, but there are plenty of coolant temp gauges in that size.
Can I use a coolant temp gauge to measure oil temp?
a coolant gauge covers a similar temp range. The fittings would fit well into my oil system. It would appear I can do it....but i was just wondering if anyone had any previous experience.
Second question...I've only seen mechanical coolant temp gauges up close, so I know what to expect with them....however, any available mechanical gauge(in the 1 1/2 variety) only has a 6ft line for the temp probe, which I don't think will cut it, as it would be be too much of a stretch in my case.
I'm assuming an electric gauge would have a similar temp probe....but terminates at an electric sender...not the gauge. Is that a correct assumption.

I've searched the site with out finding much on this topic. I've also emailed autometer about the question, but have not recieved a response yet.

#3 ·
Just dont tell the gauge its for oil, it will never know the difference.
The electric sending units I have used were quite a bit smaller than the mechanical ones.
Where are you going to put the temp sender?

#4 ·
Depends slightly on the size.
I've been debating the need for an oil cooler on my old rover.
For now, there is a blanking plug on the oil pump(external). Thought I'd put a T there for now and mount up the pressure and temp gauge there.
If a oil cooler appears to be necessary, I'll be putting a sandwich plate between the pump and the filter...I'd then mount up the senders along the plumping for that.

#5 ·
response from autometer
Just an FYI
Thank you for your inquiry. You can use a water temp. gauge to read oil temperature provided the temperatures fall within the range the gauge is capable of reading. Our gauges are sealed at the bezel with a machine crimp
process, as such, I would not recommend trying to open the gauge to relabel it. Instead maybe use a label gun or some other means to mark the gauge so you can tell the difference. If you have any further questions, please
let us know.

Thanks!

Kris
Tech/Service-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.