Need LA adjustment advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2004, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29842
Need LA adjustment advice

Taking the recommendation of others to help me out with the binding issue of the Currie drag link, it was suggested to shorten the lowers more than what RE says to set them at.

I went from 37 15/16ths to 37 3/8ths.

Now I have less than of threaded rod engagement on the upper radius arm to the flex joint on the lower arm mount
Had previously 5.5 neg caster and what looked like the same pinion angle as was with the 4.5 short arm kit before the LA upgrade. Now have zero.

My plan is to rotate the D30 pinion down, which will rotate upper axle arm mount back. Which will then allow me to screw in further to the flex joint on the mount on the lower arm- Restoring better cast and pinion angle. I think there should be more than of thread into the joint also.

Im thinking of jacking up the front frame of the jeep high enough to then jack the axle up some then, remove the tires, lower jack a little then rotate pinion down along with the knuckles, tubes, etc. Whats the best way to do this part?
If theres a better way let me know

Then:
Start over again and pull in both lowers (same length right?)
Get decent caster/pinion angle
Tire spacing front to rear in the wheel well dead on
Then adjust uppers to fit once everything is OK elsewhere
Then center axle w/tracbar.

Also (this is my 3rd lift install on the jeep) Ive always adjusted the left side arms, uppers and lowers, then gone on to the right side-thinking you get one side set to hold, then adjust the other. Yes, no?

Been working solo all day and just looking for some feedback, ideas, suggestions, flow chart, etc on the best way to accomplish this.

I think Ive been looking under there so long bolting, measuring and unbolting- I got tunnel vision now and something simple is escaping me to do this in a simpler way.

Thanks a lot, Tom
TLunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2004, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3607
Sugget posting some more info....
While never messed with Jeeps, have done pelnty of long travel stuff. Few suggestions.
Set you lowers, making sure you wheel base measurement is the same L & R
Set the uppers so that you get the caster angle correct -4.5 to -5.5 sounds good.
Adjust the track bar.

1/4" engagement is not enought
1/4" to 1/2" off on long travel stuff would not alarm me, especiall on a Jeep. OEM build is occasionally off by 1/4.
I would be more concerned that every thing fits, cycles cleanly, has 0 bind than achieving exact measurements per the instructions.
Take a break, then have at it...
Old 06-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28024
to adjust the upper arms: take one upper off, put a bottle jack under the lower trackbar mount and use it to rotate the axle until there is no resistance on a bolt of the other upper arm. then pull the bolt off, adjust the jack until you have the caster right, and put the arms back on.
shooter71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29842
OK,thanks

02' TJ- upgrading a 4.5 SA kit to the LA's

Last edited by TLunn; 06-05-2004 at 03:41 PM.
TLunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.