MJ Commanche questions?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2004, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 22421
Send a message via AIM to YotaKid Send a message via MSN to YotaKid Send a message via Yahoo to YotaKid
MJ Commanche questions??

ok then what do you think the best thing for me to do it is a 2wd 88 commanche manual transmission
what lift what axle should i swap up front is the rear axle going to be strong or should i swap it too??
what x-fer case should i get??
Won't xj lift coils work??
where do i get the mj rear leaf lift springs??
Old 08-19-2004, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11998
Send a message via AIM to BrettM
tranny, t-case, front axle and all lift stuff will swap from an XJ. you don't need lift springs in the rear, just SOA them for about 6 inches. the rear axle is probably a D35 and needs to get tossed, if it's a D44 keep it.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2004, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
How much work are you capable of doing yourself? How much money ya got?

Cheap and easy, just like Brett said, find an XJ and swap the parts from the tranny to the driveshafts. Hell, even the opening in the floor is already there for the transfer case shifter for ya.

If ya can weld or pay somebody to, and can tackle a bit more, try the drivetrain out of an early bronco, 44 front, 9" rear, seen more than one xj and yes even an mj converted to the eb front suspension before rubicon express turned the whole market around with its long arms.

Check out the xj threads in the jeep section for more on what people are doing as far as axles and lifts.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
kwrangln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22421
Send a message via AIM to YotaKid Send a message via MSN to YotaKid Send a message via Yahoo to YotaKid
sorry i feel like a real newbie but what is SOA?
I don't have a welder, i could have someone weld something but i don't know enough about the truck yet to know what i am doing?
so i should get rid of the full floater d-35 in the rear? what would be the easiest swap in for that? any dana 44?
what should i get for the front that is easy to swap in????(like a dana 44 from what that should bolt right up??)
then if i get dana 44s will i have to buy differen't coils for the frant and what about all the trackbars and drag links and stuff?
will the leaf springs in the rear work still??
sorry i am such a newbie lol i knew kinda al ot about my yota but now i don't know anything!!
Thank you
Justin
Old 08-19-2004, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
For the time being, keep it simple. First make it 4 wheel drive, then worry about upgrading stuff.

Find a junker XJ, get the front and rear axles (just to make sure gears match up), transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts. Unbolt the tube that is place of the front axle now, and bolt in the new front axle. All the suspension pieces are the same, bolt on deal. Swap the 2 wheel drive transmission out with the 4 wheel drive transmission and transfer case combo. connect driveshafts and shifters, done, you now have a 4 wheel drive MJ using all factory parts.

What size tires do you plan to run? What type of wheeling? a simple upgrade for the rear will be the ford 8.8 axle out of an explorer, the front end will do ya up to 33" tires. With your current tech knowlege I wouldnt try going past that for a while as it will take quite a bit more parts swapping and building. For a lift, check the prices on XJ kits.

Try searching the jeep section for "Comanchee" or "Manchee", there have been a few MJ buildups posted.

"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." R. L. Burnside
Old 08-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 22421
ok thank you well i plan on running 33s for a little while then i plan on running like a 37s
how much will the sring over lift the rear?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
I thought the MJ already had the springs on top of the axles in the rear? If the springs are under, then swapping them to the top will lift the vehicle the thickness of the axle tube, spring perch, and thickness of the spring pack. Usually about 5-5 1/2". Look at some lifted cherokees to see how much fender cutting and lift you'll have to do to get 33's on the front of your MJ, as it will take the same ammount.

edit: and thanks for moving this to the proper forum.

Last edited by kwrangln; 08-19-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11998
Send a message via AIM to BrettM
moving the leafs to the top of the axle (SOA) will net about 6 inches. You do not have a full-floater D35 in the rear, there's no such thing. If you do have a D44 keep it. some late 80s XJs and MJs came with a D44 rear, that is the best, easiest swap. swapping everything from a 4wd XJ is a good idea, but one thing that won't work is the rear driveshaft, the XJ rear shaft is much shorter.

click the link in my sig for my MJ buildup
Old 08-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24009
I'm just gonna come out and say it. You should get something else. If your level of experience is not up to it, I don't think a 4x4 conversion is your best bet for a first rig. If you are convinced with having a Jeep Unibody, why don't you get an XJ 4x4, were from the same area and I know for a fact that they are a dime a dozen around here. Hell, you could buy somebody's project XJ for dirt cheap. If you buy this truck you gonna end up staring at it while it sits in pieces, whereas you can buy an XJ (or MJ) and go wheel it. There are a ton of trials in the area that are pretty fun in a stock vehicle, like Carnage Canyon. Bolt on some sliders and go for it.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 22421
ok i think i am goign to do a dana 30 from an xj in the front and what should i put in the rear that would be strong and easy to swap in?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 22421
anyone know?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 29638
Send a message via AIM to MuddyV8YJ
Sorry buddy but from the kinda of questions youre asking i'm gonna have to agree with ghetto jeep and recommend you start with something that is 4wd. It will be cheaper and you'll actually be able to use it. Once you get on the trails a little you'll know what kind of lift you want and whats available. Good luck
MuddyV8YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22421
i want to do this i think it will be a learning experience
Old 08-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doublewide engineer

Member # 6971
A learning experience would be to actually read the replys you get to your questions. My second reply to you gave you a recommendation for an easy rear axle upgrade, take the information you are given, then start searching for more. The information is out there, were just going to point you in the right direction to find what you need to know, its going to take some work on your part as well, and not just with a wrench.

Old 08-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 29638
Send a message via AIM to MuddyV8YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid
i want to do this i think it will be a learning experience

A learning experience is one thing, an expensive headache and rig that sits in your garage for 2 years is another thing. Good to know your up for the challenge, just don't expect to have a whole lot of fun with your rig for a while.
MuddyV8YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 34447
Xj

I always see xj's for sale for around $1000 some times less. Just buy one of those and start wheeling. no welding required. go tell it breaks in half then get another one.
DanJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 22421
lol i don' have that