Dana 44, 60, or ?? Need Advice! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 32043
Dana 44, 60, or ?? Need Advice!

My son and I are building up an old Land Rover Series IIa (88-inch). The stock axle assemblies are going to require a lot of work (money) to restore. As a result, we're thinking about investing in some beefier American axles. Here are three questions that immediately come up:

1. What are the pros/cons of Dana 44 vs. Dana 60? I'm tempted to spend the extra money to get the 60s, but is it really worth it? We won't ever run anything bigger than 33-inch tires, but is the peace of mind worth it with 60s?

2. Also, how narrow can a 44 or 60 be made? The stock Land Rover WMS distance is ~56.5 inches, with the spring pads about 28.5-inches apart. Can I narrow either a 44 or 60 to these values?

3. Finally, my lug bolt pattern is 5 lugs on a 6.5-inch bolt circle. Is it possible to get a 44 or 60 with this pattern? I've already got wheels and tires, and I don't want to buy new stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Mark in Tucson
mwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
costly to get the lug patten you want.

would recommend finding a scout or Waggoneer 58/60" wide axles with the right offset no one will be the wiser.

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 32043
Okay, here are my dumb newbie follow-up questions:

4.Is a Scout and/or Wagoneer a D44 or D60?

5. Which one is 58-inches wide, and which one is 60?

6. What would be the best source for a rebuilt/reconditioned Scout/Wagoneer axle set?

Cheers,
Mark in Tucson
Old 10-25-2004, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Scout and Waggys both came with D44s front and rear. A d60 frt axle is found under one ton trucks and a few 3/4 ton trucks. A frt D60 on 33"s will drag in the rocks. It's far too much axle for such small tires.

A frt 44 and a rear D60 would be a good place to start.

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sawzall Me Timbers!

Member # 36471
I would definitely go with a set of wagoneer axles (dana 44 front and rear). They are 6 lug so you will have to get new wheels but they are relatively inexpensive to build. Also, the waggie axles are about 60 inches and the scout axles are around 58 inches wide.

Brandon

Appalachian Offroad
Westminster, Maryland
410-848-2942

95 yj, 104" wb (waggy front and 4 link rear), stock 4.0L, sm465, 4.3 atlas, hp 60, 14bolt, detroits and 5.38's, 39" krawlers on allieds
bp95yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp95yj
the scout axles are around 58 inches wide.

Brandon
Nope 60" in the front and 59 in the rear.

BUY MY BOAT
Old 10-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24837
could also go with toyota axles. stronger than rover axles(about the same strength as a dana 44), and about the same width. lots of aftermarket support for these as well.
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 32043
Are toyota axles really as strong as Dana 44s? I have to admit, this surprises me.

What is a good source for Toyota axles assemblies and aftermarket parts? I've got some money set aside for my axle upgrade, and I'm willing to buy some decent stuff (up to a point, of course!)

-Mark
Old 10-26-2004, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24837
toyota vs d44 is debatable, but they are pretty similar from most accounts.

the typical upgrade in the front is to use some kind of super birfield joints such as longfields. they're pretty cheap if you send in your cores. long also makes a new 30 spline(toy fronts are 30 spline at the diff and hubs, but the inner axle is 27 spline where it goes into the birfield) chromoly birfield/inner axle set, which is nearly on par with stock 35 spline dana 60 shafts in strength.

for the rear, there are chromoly shafts and full floater conversion kits, but most guys run the stock shafts and seem to do fine.

locker-wise, ARB, detroit, lockright, aussie, toyota electric, take your pick. my choice would be the toyota electric locker that can be retrofitted into truck axles, they come in tacomas with the TRD package and are available as a unit from toyota for $795. available with 4.10, 4.30 and 4.56 gears, so you're getting a whole third member with gears and a locker for a little more than what an ARB would cost. however if you want to go with lower gears, it'll naturally cost more(price of gears and regearing costs). you also have to modify the housing a bit to make the locker work, but it's well documented

there aren't many places selling aftermarket housings for toys like you would see with a ford 9" or dana axles, but there's always housings for sale in the classifieds here, and probably in your local want ads
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20901
Send a message via Yahoo to androbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarner
My son and I are building up an old Land Rover Series IIa (88-inch). The stock axle assemblies are going to require a lot of work (money) to restore. As a result, we're thinking about investing in some beefier American axles. Here are three questions that immediately come up:

1. What are the pros/cons of Dana 44 vs. Dana 60? I'm tempted to spend the extra money to get the 60s, but is it really worth it? We won't ever run anything bigger than 33-inch tires, but is the peace of mind worth it with 60s?

2. Also, how narrow can a 44 or 60 be made? The stock Land Rover WMS distance is ~56.5 inches, with the spring pads about 28.5-inches apart. Can I narrow either a 44 or 60 to these values?

3. Finally, my lug bolt pattern is 5 lugs on a 6.5-inch bolt circle. Is it possible to get a 44 or 60 with this pattern? I've already got wheels and tires, and I don't want to buy new stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Mark in Tucson
Mark,
before you go about bastardizing a IIA, have a look around for a replacement set if they are indeed in such bad shape!!
Honestly, what is wrong with them? rusty? dirty? seriously! they are easy and pretty cheep to clean up even if that included new axle shafts. the axles do NOT break as often as people say, and if they do arry a spare set with you. I have reconditioned a few sets over the years for my rovfers, and they are easy and cheap!
don't fall into the whole build it up bigger and badder just to do so. D-60's are for people running tires over 37", d'44's are for prolly good even up to that according to some. I have seen rover axles run fine with 35" tires.
do some research, and think about staying with rover parts. ther are upgraded axle shafts if you feel better, or are actualyl pushing them. Bill @ Great Basin Rover for example can set you up with anything you need. as can others.

paul(I can't believe no-one else has any common sense response to this yet!)
Old 10-29-2004, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 9001
Send a message via ICQ to Lord Orange Send a message via AIM to Lord Orange Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout
Scout and Waggys both came with D44s front and rear.
uhem..... The scout 80/800 do not come with dana 44s.

The scout II came with the dana 44 that you want, but I wouldn't rather direct you in the way of the waggy. The scout II axle is SUA and when you do the SOA the scout axle does not have camber correcting bushings (bastard axle for the front.)
Old 10-29-2004, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Orange
uhem..... The scout 80/800 do not come with dana 44s.

The scout II came with the dana 44 that you want, but I wouldn't rather direct you in the way of the waggy. The scout II axle is SUA and when you do the SOA the scout axle does not have camber correcting bushings (bastard axle for the front.)
Since you want to split hairs. Only 1974-1980 ScoutIIs came with a frt D44. And a 1980 ScoutII frt axle has castor. So if you want to be a nit picky asshole you better study up.

BUY MY BOAT
Old 10-29-2004, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9001
Send a message via ICQ to Lord Orange Send a message via AIM to Lord Orange Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Orange
your welcome

got to keep you on your toes.