Tahoe vs. 4runner - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23675
Send a message via AIM to rckcrwlr87
Tahoe vs. 4runner

I'm trying to convince my parents to get me a 4 door solid axle 4x4 tahoe for a vehicle up here in Alaska, but for some reason they keep looking at 4runners, and they really want to get a 96 or newer because they have been told that 4runners will run forever. The Tahoe is way cheaper than a 96 or newer 4runner. Eventhough all their vehicles except my jeep are chevy they still want to look at 4runners, and I really don't want a newer 4runner.

Is there any information out there that I could tell them to make them stop looking at 4runners? And how does the Tahoe stack up against a 4runner? Which in your opinion is the better vehicle?
rckcrwlr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24306
Send a message via AIM to Juice
when did tahoes come with a solid axle? anything after 91 is ghey IFS.. in terms means.. If Fawking Sucks!

but yotas do run forever, get an 85 4runner.. solid axle, efi, bad ass!or just do an axle swap on the yota..or do a solid axle swap on some tahoe? up to u man?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 23675
the Tahoe already has the solid front axle in it. I don't really have the tools, or the ability to swap a solid front axle myself, and I'm up in Alaska so parts are kinda hard to come by and if you do find them they are usually pretty worn. When my folks originally told me that they might consider buying me a 4runner I started looking at the late 80's because I really like that body style, it had the removable top and they have EFI. But they didn't like those because they had too many miles on them and whoever they are talking to says that they didn't have very good engines in them and that they should get me a 96 or newer. And I really don't want a 4runner.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39662
go with the toy you can always do a sas down the line, there is a yard in FB that has alot of shit, they had two toys with mattracks they were badass
good luck
antivalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30087
Send a message via MSN to Izeloz
Toyota. It will last longer and be more fun. The early toy engines were wonderful and lots of people put 250,000+ miles on them before they die, but they were a bit underpowered. No problems with the 4runner. Do a SAS on it and run it. It's big enough to sleep in, doesn't suck as much gas as the Tahoe and can go on tighter trails easier. I'd say there's more of an aftermarket following for the toys for offroad stuff, too.
Izeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 14731
Honestly, its their money. If you want a tahoe, get a job and buy it yourself. Not trying to be a jerk, but really, I wish my parents were trying to buy me a 96 or newer 4runner. If you really want a solid axle 4x4, get a newer cherokee. You didnt really tell us any reasons for wanting a solid axle Tahoe versus a 4runner. What year Tahoe, who swapped in the axle, are you going to be wheeling it, or just DD?

Last edited by Road Head; 12-14-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Road Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 23675
I understand about tellling me to go out and get a job, but my folks really want me to focus on school right now, and they don't want me to have to worry about working and carrying a full college load. I really want the solid front axle because I want something that I can turn into an expedition type vehicle that is a pretty capable DD but I also want to be able to take this thing out and go hunting and fishing and camping with it, and the solid front axle is a little easier and cheaper to lift than IFS and I would trust the strength of a solid front axle more than IFS. The tahoe is a 96 4 door.

And they don't want an earlier 4runner, I would be more than happy to get an early one with the removable top, I would cut the doors and everything, but they want to get a newer one with the 3.0 v-6. My dad went and drove one of them last night, and he said that it was pretty sluggish, not a lot of get up to it. So I think that I might have him convinced a little to go with the Tahoe.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 39662
not trying to burst your bubble but the ta'ho is crap compard to a toy let your mom and dad buy the toy turn 18 or what ever sell it and buy an 85 or so and pimp the hell out of it with the boat loads of extra cash hell i will trade my 85 pu for it wont to make a deal
antivalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
I would looke very closly at that solid axle tahoe. Its very likey that solid front axle is in there because it was used. Probabally used hard, and the truck is worn out.

As for the 4runner, every person I know with a 3.0 has replaced a head gasket or 2. Do yourself a favor and get a 4cyl one or a 3.4l if you get one. Only reason I dont DD a 98 4runner is because the door panels are too thick and I dont fit. 85 I fit great in, but my DD is a 96 ram.

One truck you mayby havent looked into is a dakota. You can geat a mid 90's dakota in pretty good shape for a good price. A solid axle swap with ramcharger axles isnt all that hard. Only mini truck I can think of with a v8. Biggest down sides of them (assuming you get a 5 speed) is the intake manifold leaks ($200 to fix), the timing chain gets slop in it, and the ball joints wear out (ramcharger d44 swap time).

Last edited by GRMhick; 12-14-2004 at 08:07 PM.
GRMhick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 23675
Yeah I think that I pretty much have them convinced to look at some trucks and some other things that have a little more power than a 4runner
Old 12-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 25643
I own a 96 Tahoe and its a good rig - however there's no place I can go that a 4runner can't just as well. Ease of use, downtown parking, mileage, insurance, all that stuff that's important to parents suggest the 4runner. Parents buy kids 4runners - kids buy their own big iron.

My brother's kid just got rid of a ricer-rig for a big-metal Chevy - now he spends every spare day trying to keep it together - which is fine if you are into that.
Magnum_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckcrwlr87
Yeah I think that I pretty much have them convinced to look at some trucks and some other things that have a little more power than a 4runner
I wouldnt call a 96+ 3.4l 4runner slow. They are quite a bit faster than the v8 powered 1500 ram I daily drive, and can easily cruse at 100 mph all day long.
GRMhick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 32555
Either you're confused, or else you're not keeping your story very clear/updated. You said they wanna get you a 96-up runner, then you said they went and drove one, but you said 3.0 motor. 3.0 stopped in 95, 3.4 is way superior. I would trust a 96-up 4runner with a well-done SAS a lot more than ANY GM product out in the wilderness, and I've worked on a lot of both.

Older toys are awesome for what they are, which is a 15-20 year old rig. I love em, my wheeler is an 82. However, it sounds like you don't know how to trail-fix or maintain it meticulously like it will need for a while. How far are you gonna go on these expeditions anyway? Cell-phone range only, right? Old toys need gone through, unless you buy one that was JUST done right, by a smart person. Then they still probably missed something.

If you can't dig up a couple grand for a trail rig on your own, try and compromise, see if they'll help pay for an SAS on a 3rd gen runner, it really is a better rig. If not, suck it up and drive it. If your attention span is so short that you can't work and go to school at the same time, you don't need to be going on any damn 'expeditions' anyway.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2288
Trainwreck is right. The 3.0l V6 was offered in the pre-96 4Runners. 96 to '03 (maybe 04?) 4Runners came with the vastly superior 3.4L V6. The only bad thing about the 3.4L V6 is that the early ones (95.5 to 97 maybe?) had some head gasket problems, but not to the extent that the 3.0l's had. Even so, the 98 and up 3.4L V6's fixed that problem as far as I can tell and are very reliable, silky smooth and fast!

The front IFS on the 96 and up 4Runners is the same as that on the Tacomas - very easy to lift and maintain. Anything more than 3" of front lift, though, will require a drop bracket type lift, which adds to the expense. The only downside to the front IFS is that the CV axles aren't as strong as the pre-96 4Runners and Tacomas. So if you lock the front and run big tires, you run the risk of breaking a front CV axle. That's about the only weakness I can think of about the 96 and up 4Runner's front end. But if you keep the front diff open you should be fine. The rear diff and axles are beefy and super strong - the same 8.25" (sometimes erroneously referred to as an 8.4") rear diff that's offered in the Tundras and Sequioas. You can run big tires with a locking rear diff with no problems.

So if you want to convince your parents to stay away from the 4Runner, tell them that the early 96 and 97's are probably more prone to blowing a headgasket on the 3.4L V6 (note, the 2.7L 4 cylinders are virtually bulletproof aside from the exhaust manifold which is prone to cracking - but that just gives you an excuse to get a header) and that running big tires and a locker up front will probably cause the CV axle to snap.

I don't know anything about Tahoes, so I can't really give you the pros and cons between the two.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 40094
u can get a runner with the e locker...or just get a v6 4x4 tacoma with trd...i have one and it has pretty good power...i burned a big doge ram last night and the dude started yelling at me like he was all tough...
Jared Ajlouny is offline   Reply With Quote