Flex Joints - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 39638
Flex Joints

I'm currently drawing-up a radius arm setup for my Dodge Dakota solid axle swap. I'm leaning toward using some type of poly flex-joint at the chassis end of the arms, and either 1.5 or 2" tubing with 1/4" wall on the front.

Now for the stupid newbie questions. Would a 2.5" Rubicon Express joint be strong enough for the chassis end of the arm, or would I be better off using something like DT Profab's 3" joint with the 3/4" thru-bolt?

Also, is 2" tubing overkill for radius arms or a good choice?

I've searched multiple threads and some guys seem to prefer the Rubicon Express joints becuase of the threaded washer, but I'm not so sure the 9/16" thru-bolt is going to be beefy enough.

Thanks!
Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34369
when it refers to the 9/16" bolt you do realize that its a 9/16" SHANK right? not a 9/16" HEAD that you would use a 9/16" wrench to turn... its also the largest r.e. joint they make... should be plenty strong... was told by a r.e. dealer that i didnt need one that big for the rear trailing arms on my fj40 but thats what im useing.. (would rather have too big) if the 9/16" bolt bothers you as being too small remember itll be stronger than anything youll be fastening it too....
hope this helps,

chris

Q: How do you find God to avoid Hell?
A: Through his son, Jesus Christ.

Q: What does this mean to me?
A: If you are living your life without accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are on the road to Hell.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
DHONDAGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 39638
Thanks, Chris! Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. And, yes, I do know that 9/16" refers to the shank My axle swap is going to be my first crack at suspension building... just want to make sure I'm going strong enough. I've done a few lift kits before and I'm tired of the bolt-on crap, and ready to finally be rid of my IFS.
Thanks for the help!
~Kory
Kory is offline   Reply With Quote