Best tires? mtr's , tsl, bfg mudterrain - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43840
Best tires? mtr's , tsl, bfg mudterrain

im looking for a set of 35"-37" tires. I would do quite a bit of freeway driving to get anywhere to go whelin' so i need freeway friendly tires. No rock crawlin for me yet, just mud steep hills, etc. any suggestions ? mtr's, swamper tsl's, or bfg mud terrain? how long do they last? and which one kick's a i also plan on buying beadlocks. how have yours held up? which on it top dawg? any info is helpfull I am a newby 4x4
hulk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
I moved your thread to the newb section so you might get an answer or at least a discussion on a question that has no real answer. this question has been asked a thousand times and you need to do some reading on each tire to determine how they work and decide which is right for you. the tire you decribed does not exist.

for the best freeway tire you want a pro-comp all terrain cause they are quit and you will get 50k miles out of it.

for your steep muddy trails you want the TSL cause they have the traction.

you need to fiqure out where you want to compromise to decide what tire your gonna run.

try using the search feature and read, then read some more and when you get a specific question based on reality then post up and you will get your answers.

beadlocks.......buy a set of custom made champions that are build to your specs and they will do exactly what you want.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2005, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 30331
Send a message via AIM to 77chev Send a message via MSN to 77chev
Yokohama Geolander M/T+
77chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32726
of course searching would help but...

mud=tsl ...proven tread design that just shines in mud...hwy mileage wouldn't be too great though

street=procomp AT...50k miles and decent tire...cake with mud though

decent mix=bfg MT or check out the new trXus MT(only 35 though)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MattyB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 34491
Try asking yourself.. why did i post this!
my_samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 343
Hint..MTR's suck in the mud.
cj8scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 37021
Send a message via AIM to Chevyboy51
i would go with truxus mt they are the closest thing you can get to a tsl that will get good milege know a few guys that have had 40 to 50 thousand on them. any kind of mud terrain will suck in mud bfg,procomp,mtr,etc
Chevyboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 23328
take a look at the tsl radial. there is a 36" i believe.
rusmannx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 43858
I have run 33" BFG's (AT and MT) on my YJ and 35" BFG MT's on a FSJ. A little biased here but I like them. They wear great,little noise and are great in a multitude of terrain. If you run in sharp rocks consider the mtr's or a swamper (biased ply tire) Playing in N. AL i cut a sidewall on my AT's...rocks wernt that bad but i chose poorly in tire presure and throttle . Do a search to find what people are running in the type of wheeling you like to do...Good luck!
myjeep8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18276
I'm gonna suggest a BFG MT...it's basically all i run on any vehicle that sees both trail and street use. They're quiet on the road, last hella-long, and in my opinion work just as well as any swamper on muddy trails. If you're in deep nasty clay, ANY tire will clog no matter how big the lugs, but the BFG's seem to have better lateral traction than most swampers i've witnessed on the trail.
Now if you've got a rig w/ 400 hp and want to rip through some super deep mud, get some boggers, but forget about driving to the trail in peace.

Every tire has its pros and cons, but it sounds like BFG MT's would be perfect for what you're looking to use them for.

-Ron-
Old 03-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 29729
Another vote for the Trxus MT. Should be able to get decent milage out of them with proper rotation.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 37021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash80
I'm gonna suggest a BFG MT...it's basically all i run on any vehicle that sees both trail and street use. They're quiet on the road, last hella-long, and in my opinion work just as well as any swamper on muddy trails. If you're in deep nasty clay, ANY tire will clog no matter how big the lugs, but the BFG's seem to have better lateral traction than most swampers i've witnessed on the trail.
Now if you've got a rig w/ 400 hp and want to rip through some super deep mud, get some boggers, but forget about driving to the trail in peace.

Every tire has its pros and cons, but it sounds like BFG MT's would be perfect for what you're looking to use them for.

-Ron-
you've never been in any real mud if you think a bfg mt works as good as a swamper
Old 03-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
my MTR's were nearly to the wear marker at 5k!!!

INSANE! On the other hand my BFG's had more tread when I sold them with over 35,000 miles on them. Go for the BFG, but it's gonna suck in the mud as with any "street" tire. If you want it to perform in the mud go TSL, no way around it.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
I'm gonna throw out a vote for Cooper Discoverer STT's. I've owned TSL's in 4 different sizes beginning in '92, but have put a TOTAL of 50 pavement miles on all of them combined. They're simply not a road-worthy tire. The Coopers OTOH, are every bit as good on & off-pavement as the BFG's, but cost less, last longer, and have a hazard warranty (BFG's do not unless you get them from a DEALER that offers a warranty). There are numerous other brands that I've tried, & they were all ABOUT the same in mud. But, the BFG's & Coopers were by far the best on pavement.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 43840
thanx for info.. I have read all about the tires but I wanted to find out from people who actually used the tires. im leaning toward trxus mt and tsl radials. i just want pick the right tires, for all the work I have put into my blazer.
14bolt ff disc conv.
3/4 ton dana 44 8lug
detroit lockers all around
bullet proof steering w/heim joints
new steering box,weld on frame repair
steering pump,pulleys,brackets,alt.
york onboard air compressor

i need a little more advice on springs, I have 5" blocks and want to get rid of them. I was thinking of 2" or 4"shackle flip and 4" springs in rear(revolvers in the future) or should I just get 6" springs w/ 2"shackles? I want some articulation. tuff country? pro comp? skyjacker? The only load I would pull is some future Quads, but I would install air bags when needed. thanx for all help
hulk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 38737
If you want springs that will flex and hold up to some abuse. Plus a company that will stand behind the product they sold you. Then you might want to look into spending a few extra dollors and talk to National springs or Deaver. They will custom make the pack for your use and vehicle weight. Plus they will make them with the amount of lift you desire. This is just my opinion but I have ran the sky jacker and superlifts. Neither of them really excited me with their performace.

'93 F-150 XLT 4x4...Still at Dad's house holding down the cement. :(
Felix4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 30331
Send a message via AIM to 77chev Send a message via MSN to 77chev
I ran the yokohama geolander MT's for a couple years on my pickup. They were at about 40% when I got em, and after the 3/4 ton swap, they were at about 20%. By far they were the best worn out tire that I ran. I run mud, some rocks, snow, sand, etc. I do it all, and the geolanders did everything i wanted em to do. Im currently runnin BFG mud terrains and they are a good tire, but I still want my geolanders back.
77chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 41273
Dont bother with Pro Comps, or at least if you wanna have some flex.
Nor Cal Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Riffed By The Man

Member # 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
my MTR's were nearly to the wear marker at 5k!!!

INSANE! On the other hand my BFG's had more tread when I sold them with over 35,000 miles on them. Go for the BFG, but it's gonna suck in the mud as with any "street" tire. If you want it to perform in the mud go TSL, no way around it.
I had some insane mileage on my MTRs before I got rid of them with 40% of their tread left. If I recall correctly, I was at 40-50K miles and had a great amount of tread left. I rotated them around every 10-15K miles.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 29638
Send a message via AIM to MuddyV8YJ
If youre gonna be on the road, bfg MTs. also check out the swamper ssr's.

[QUOTE=Grim Reaper]Cause of death: Natural selection. :laughing: [/QUOTE]

Girls fake orgasms, guys fake relationships
MuddyV8YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Plein
I had some insane mileage on my MTRs before I got rid of them with 40% of their tread left. If I recall correctly, I was at 40-50K miles and had a great amount of tread left. I rotated them around every 10-15K miles.

I doubt I would have made it 10k..

I'm getting a new set all the way around and this time I am going to rotate evey 2k or so. Ditching the spool too, I think that had something to do with it.. (wasn't the back that wore but still).
Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 43871
OK here is your tire, they compare to the swampers in mud, they are great in sand and run around 60-70K on highway. They are not the king of the rocks though due to stiffness and poor flex. URL=http://www.denmantire.com/catalog-choice.php]GROUND HAWGS[/URL] If I would've found the same deal on these that I found on my TSLs I would've bought these instead just for the long life.

Last edited by Good; 03-02-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 37021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good
OK here is your tire, they compare to the swampers in mud, they are great in sand and run around 60-70K on highway. They are not the king of the rocks though due to stiffness and poor flex. URL=http://www.denmantire.com/catalog-choice.php]GROUND HAWGS[/URL] If I would've found the same deal on these that I found on my TSLs I would've bought these instead just for the long life.
I agree that hawgs work well in the mud I've had 40s and 44s however they do lose there effectiveness more as they wear than swampers do because of their lack of variation in the side lugs. I like them in very deep mud because they don't dig down as quick as swampers. I don't really know just how long they wear they seem decent (probably because of the extremely hard compound) but i have I have never used mine on the road for any length of time due to there poor road manners they cup very fast and every set I have seen have been from 1/4" to 1/2" out of round making the truck hop up and down on pavement my 40s were so bad you couldn't keep it in one lane over 55mph just my 2 cents from running them
Old 03-03-2005, 01:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 10063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
I doubt I would have made it 10k..
I've got about 20K on these

I ran BFGs before these though, and they're a much better made tire, at least in terms of quality. I may go back to them again when these finally do wear out.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 43258
ground hawgs are probably one of the best in the mud.. and probably one of the worst on the road as they wear.. mine hops and dances if i run over 25 lbs of pressure.. They have never let me down in the mud.. Im always amazed at what they get me thru. but if your going to drive a long distance have 2 sets of tires. I run the 35x14x15 tires and would not mud with anything else. besides it stirs my coffee for me.. and if you live anywhere cold plan on wearing your coffee till the tires warm up because their so thick they flatspot bad and you feel like a cowboy.. yee haw .. as far a bfg all terr.. they suck in the mud... flat out.. they mud up in a flash.. hence my tow rope says robs jeep in sharpie on one end because he spends so much time there.. (now he has a winch)
bills_ny_k5 is offline   Reply With Quote