Leaf mount stupid question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 46098
Leaf mount stupid question

Alright, I know p/u's have a step up at the back of the cab where the bed starts. On my Toy, the front of the rear leaf is mounted here about half way up the step. If I move those mounts back about 8" (less rear overhang), it would mean that my leaf is now mounted "parallel" to the frame instead of at a slight angle (due to the mounts being at the top of the step). Is this ok??? What would the effects of this be?? I know I'm lifting the front of my truck 5", but how do I calculate the rear lift so I won't be a tail dragger? This is just something I've been thinking about since I don't know jack when it comes to suspension setups. Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-18-2005, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 62
I'm not 100% sure on what your asking but am guessing your talking about moving the spring mount to a point where it will be mounted higher up in the chassis.

If so to figure out how much lift you will lose by moving the spring mount up it will be half the distance you moved the mount up from its original position. So if you move the spring mount up 3" you will lower the rear of the truck 1.5".

You would probably be better off going to a longer spring with an offset center pin so you can still decrease the rear overhang but keep a flatter spring for better flex (a longer spring will also flex better then a shorter one)
Old 04-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 46098
thanks. where do I measure the height difference, center of the spring eye being moved, or just from the mount itself? The reason I'm moving the spring is to reduce rear overhang and ALSO increase wheelbase. It's an 88 Toy regular cab short bed and I'm going to replace the cab w/ an extended and alter the bed to fit.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 62
I would measure from old spring eye to new

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.