A few random newbie CJ questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19615
Send a message via AIM to afroman006
A few random newbie CJ questions

I've been bangin wrenches on Chevies for the past 3 years and just got a jeep to play with. I do not know too much about them but have searched this forum extensively and found alot of good stuff, but I have a few questions that are too basic to be talked about normaly. Its a 74 CJ5 Renegade with a AMC 304, T18, dana 20, dana 30 and dana 44. This is what I have been told, if it is incorrect, let me know.

First question: Will the spindles and whatever else needed for disk brakes from a yj or even tj fit on the cj dana 30? Will the yj dana 30 bolt in place of the cj's with no mods? I know it is pollishing a turd but I'm trying to keep this project fairly basic with minimal fabrication. Are there any other axles to source dana 30 disk brakes from that will fit my cj?

Second: How do you twin stick a dana 20? A guy in my club did it to the one in his bronco and I would like to do it as well, just because its cool.

Third: What gears should I expect the stock axles to have?

Fourth: How much tq/hp does the 304 make?

Fifth and last: What is the best way to correct the steering for however much lift a springover provides?

My plans include a total restoration, this thing is a piece its been sitting for about 15 years, but is rust free. I am going to do a spring over and run 33's. I would like to leave the drivetrain mostly stock, besides the brakes. I would like to run disks front and rear if possible. I am not going to wheel this thing hard or much at all, it will be mostly a beach cruiser and all aorund pimp-mobile. So, following this criteria, what other basic low-no fabrication mods would yall recomend? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
First. No.

Second: No idea.

Third: between 2.73 and 4.10. Their was a lot of variation.

Fourth: 140 hp with a 2bl. Unknown torque.

Fifth: High steer using flattop 44 knuckles.

Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
]2eDeYe

Member # 20045
Second: it's easy...search...read alot...read some more...by a welder...read some more...take apart you t-case and figure it out

and if your only going 33's you don't need a spring over...just hack those fenders and if I lived in texas I'd hack 'em all the way to the inner fender or just throw them away completly.

Last edited by stepfor; 04-27-2005 at 07:04 PM.
stepfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 62
[QUOTE=afroman006]

First question: Will the spindles and whatever else needed for disk brakes from a yj or even tj fit on the cj dana 30?

Second: How do you twin stick a dana 20? A guy in my club did it to the one in his bronco and I would like to do it as well, just because its cool.

Third: What gears should I expect the stock axles to have?

Fourth: How much tq/hp does the 304 make?

Fifth and last: What is the best way to correct the steering for however much lift a springover provides?

[QUOTE]

First: a YJ/TJ dana 30 doesnt even have front spindles to get disks just look for parts off of a newer CJ or even better a complete set of wide track axles

Second: Search... this site and google I know there are right ups out there and it isnt a difficult procedure

Third: 2.73-3.50 seem to be the common gears though I'm sure there are other possibilities

Fourth: Search again... something around 160hp-200+ lbft

Fifth: I wouldnt do a spring over on that short of a wheelbase rig, a 2.5" suspension combined with 1" BL will clear 33's, as will a 4" suspension lift alone... even with just a 4" suspension lift you will probably need a CV rear driveshaft
Old 04-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 37244
Sounds like you made a good score. Your stock drive train sounds right except for the transmission, it should be a T-15A 3 speed. If its a 4 speed then you really did score because I believe in those years, (`72 -`75) the T-18 was only an option behind the 304. You would need to find everything from an 80`s CJ for the disk swap. One common problem with twin sticking the Dana 20 is it popping out of 2 low under power, kind of hard on the gears. A Bronco Dana 20 is COMPLETELY different than a Jeep Dana 20. If you are in fact running a T-15A trans your gears should be 3.73`s, if you do have the T-18A 4 speed thats a wild card. HP will be around 130 like alreadys been said, can`t remember torque. If your only going to 33`s, don`t waste time and money going spring over with those narrow trac axles. A 2 1/2" spring lift is all you`ll need and MAYBE some minor trimming. If your looking to wake up that 304, throw on a set of headers, a Holley 500 cfm 2 bbl, an RV cam, and most important take a hammer to the junk Prestolite distributer and replace it with the MSD ready to run electronic or the DUI/HEI system. Either one will do a world of good to the 304. Enjoy
4x401cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
For the gear ratios the two (that's right only two in 1974) available gearsets were either 3.73 or 4.27. The 3.73 was standard, 4.27 was optional regardless of the transmission.

If the axles have the tags on them, they'll tell you. If not pop the cover off and the ring gear will be stamped with the number of teeth on the ring gear and the pinion. If it's 4.27 the numbers will be 47-11. I can't remember the tooth counts for 3.73.

I swapped on '78 chevy calipers and caliper mounts along with '77 CJ rotors on my '75 when it still had the Dana 30 under it. I had to have the backside of the wheelbearing hubs machined flat to accept the rotors and pull the residual pressure valve out of the front outlet of the master cylinder.

It's probably easier to find a CJ Dana 30 with discs and swap everything from the knuckles out onto your existing 30.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 19615
Send a message via AIM to afroman006
Ok thanks for the help guys. On the disk brakes, will the stuff from a cj7 dana 30 work? To be perfectly honest, I havent messed with it enough to know if its a 3 or 4 speed. After I dragged the four-flat-tired bitch up onto my trailer I didnt really wanna fuck with it so its been sitting in storage for a few months.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 44668
Check this site for axle gear info. Tells you where to locate axle ID and what the letter code is for what gears (provided they have never been changed)

Axle Info
Dad's Jeep. 78 Jeep CJ 7 4.2L QT with T400, 3" body lift. Full 6 point roll cage. 36" IROK's. 3" suspension lift, Superior 1-piece axles, 4.88 gears, Weber carb. GM HEI, Locked front and rear. Best of all, fours sons who LOVE TO RIDE!

Mom's Jeep. 94YJ Bone Stock (for now).
Sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman006
On the disk brakes, will the stuff from a cj7 dana 30 work?
For what you're wanting to do a CJ Dana 30 is a CJ Dana 30. It doesn't matter if it's a CJ5, 6, 7, or 8.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote