Ayoneone done this. lengthening wheelbase, sawzall trimming - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2002, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
"D"

Member # 4835
Ayoneone done this. lengthening wheelbase, sawzall trimming

Looked on search engine. Didnt come up with shiat.

Has anyone ever moved their shackles to the end of the frame and cut out the fenders to match with soa? Thinking I want to do it but I cant visiualize it.

Thanks
"D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1802
Send a message via AIM to emsoffroad
Nope, no one around here would do such a thing!

I'm guessing that you just need to look a little harder. Also try a few diffrent keywords in the search. Alot of people here did a bunch of diffrent setups.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9640
Send a message via ICQ to moabyj
this is really common now days ....go to rockcrawler.com and check out there pics of arca and the rigs that competed.
there are post on here about using offset springs that give you length or you can move your entire spring pack back.
as far as the sawsall....figure where you think your tire is goin to be hitting.and mark and cut...once u get it where u want u can make a template and do the other side
moabyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
"D"

Member # 4835
Quote:
Originally posted by moabyj
this is really common now days ....go to rockcrawler.com and check out there pics of arca and the rigs that competed.
there are post on here about using offset springs that give you length or you can move your entire spring pack back.
as far as the sawsall....figure where you think your tire is goin to be hitting.and mark and cut...once u get it where u want u can make a template and do the other side
Cool pics but I dont really wanna lob the ass off the jeep. If anyone seen acouple of JP Mags ago they had a early model cj5 frame that they mounted the shackle hangers on the back of the bumper, that what i did.

Just wondering if anyone has done that and what did they come up with as far as wheelwell cutting with soa.

Thanks
"D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9640
Send a message via ICQ to moabyj
heres what i did.....i used plate....to come off of the original front spring mount....drilled holes....then in the rear...i welded a piece of 2x4 channel..like bumper stuff...mounted the shackle hangers to it
kinda rounded my fenders rearward a little....ramped it....cut more....put my flare back on.....
moabyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8867
Send a message via AIM to YJ4LIFE Send a message via Yahoo to YJ4LIFE
rockslut moved his rear axle 2" back and the front 4" forward. The also has the rear flares as far back as they go without chomping out the corners. I'm gonna do the same pretty soon.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...erokee+springs

Last edited by YJ4LIFE; 02-25-2002 at 10:06 PM.
YJ4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1065
Well its not a CJ5, but I moved the axle, rearward about 7" on my YJ. It wasnt that difficult, but involved raising the tank, fabbing new cross members, and relocating body mounts. Then I cut away the rear fender, and used some 2" angle iron to trim it out. I was in a hurry to get the rig to an event, and basicly installed the angle iron, while the Jeep was on the trailer, (I didnt want any sharp edges that could have sliced open my spotters hands or fingers). Once it was done I just left it that way, but I wouldnt mind finishing it up with some tubing, when I have some free fabrication time.
Heres a pic of the relocated rear shackle mounts.

Here is a recent pic of what it looks like with fenders cut away for clearance.

Old 02-26-2002, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4267
Send a message via ICQ to Flip1YJ
I just finished something like this but with a twist. I used the stock shackle location, but made 'L' shaped links out of 3/8 plate, and 2-1/2 3/16 tubing, with a piece of round tubing on the end for the bushing. When sitting level it rests on a bumpstop against the rear bumper, and acts as a part of the frame with a short conventional shackle. When the suspension unloads it allows about an extra 5 inches of droop.

I'm using FSJ Cherokee rear packs with the hangers moved foreward about 2.5 inches. This nets about 2 inches more wheelbase in the rear(this is as much as you can do with a Dana 44 and the stock tank).

Only drawbacks are you lose departure angle, and under hard braking you get massive amounts of rear end lift(I plan to add a lockout pin for hwy driving.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9483
heres are a few questions- have you figured out how much stretch is going to gain you better off road ability? Have you maxed out your jeeps ability to perform in its present state? are you willing to fuck up a perfectly good tub? I ask myself those questions when I get ancy to do some cuttin and my saw goes back in the box.
[B][I]"Wheel hard" G.D.I [/I][/B] Buggy -35 spl hp60, drv flgs, bear knuckles, spooled 4.88, .030-327, sm465 wms 203(3:1)/205 NWF triple stick, high angle drvshft's, 35spl 60 rear spool, PSC full hydro, 42"iroks, recentered h1 dbl's. 99 4x4 24v dodge for towing. [URL="http://www.gdi4x4.com/"]GDI4x4[/URL] [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626027"][COLOR="Orange"]my buggy redo[/COLOR][/URL]
riksnacjnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9632
Quote:
Originally posted by riksnacjnow
are you willing to fuck up a perfectly good tub? I ask myself those questions when I get ancy to do some cuttin and my saw goes back in the box.
This sounds like one for the "newbie quotes" thread that crops up now and again...

If I had a perfectly good tub, I'd be willing to fuck it up. I don't, though, so I already have fucked it up. It's much more functional now, and there's less sheetmetal to get in my way.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1065
Quote:
Originally posted by riksnacjnow
heres are a few questions- have you figured out how much stretch is going to gain you better off road ability? Have you maxed out your jeeps ability to perform in its present state? are you willing to fuck up a perfectly good tub? I ask myself those questions when I get ancy to do some cuttin and my saw goes back in the box.
The last time I asked myself those very same questions, I drew the same conclusion, about the Sawzall, and I put it back in its box ......... It was obviousely a job, for a Plasma Cutter, I think, I shaved about 60lbs of sheet metal, before the Plasma Cutter, tip went bad.

The point is, that its not "a perfectly good tub", if its gotta bunch of sheet metal where your components need to be.

Extra Wheel base is well worth the effort, if you really like going vertical.

On the other hand, you could just wait untill you flop your short wheel base on its lid, while trying to keep up, on the steep. But its a lot easier to get a nice cut, on the sheet metal, before you wrinkle it.

Damn Newbies, ....need to get their priorities, right
Old 02-27-2002, 05:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9483
how much??

I have relocated my fuel tank in preperation for an extended WB but my jeep is performing so well I don't know how much better it will be. So, maybe I should be asking the question- How much better is it with the longer wheelbase, and, how long does it need to be to make it worth cutting? thanks for the flame though! We just did some of the best Tellico has to offer and it worked great. I guess my point was are you wanting the "look" or the performance. now can someone put the flames out?? my ass is burnin up. BTW H8 you got my vote for TTC so give em hell!!
[B][I]"Wheel hard" G.D.I [/I][/B] Buggy -35 spl hp60, drv flgs, bear knuckles, spooled 4.88, .030-327, sm465 wms 203(3:1)/205 NWF triple stick, high angle drvshft's, 35spl 60 rear spool, PSC full hydro, 42"iroks, recentered h1 dbl's. 99 4x4 24v dodge for towing. [URL="http://www.gdi4x4.com/"]GDI4x4[/URL] [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626027"][COLOR="Orange"]my buggy redo[/COLOR][/URL]

Last edited by riksnacjnow; 02-27-2002 at 06:03 AM.
riksnacjnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3370
ttt for a friend
Old 02-23-2005, 02:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27999

Old 02-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 12795
bluetorch rear bumper on mine
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2005, 06:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 26833
If you are going to run larger tires , without going sky hi, push the axle back. Lower cg, more room to flex....
Old 02-23-2005, 06:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9138
Send a message via ICQ to Bushwhacker
4 link.....

So does this mean we might see you out on the trail soon??

We are going out Sunday.

97 TJ buggy,4.0,727,Atlas,D60,14B

Facebook

myspace
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 112

[COLOR=Lime] Stiffy®? why screw around with anything less? [/COLOR]

Charter member PBB mod divorce club for men.
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote