Clutch fan or no clutch fan? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 31688
Clutch fan or no clutch fan?

I'm moving the radiator forward on my CJ and have one of each. The clutch fan takes up a little more room and I figured since I was moving the radiator I would find out which one I should use.

I had the straight fan on, broke my tranny mount and put the fan into the rad (along with a bunch of other shiat ), hence moving the rad forward about an inch. Either fan would have ruined the rad, that's not my question. I had about an inch clearance before it broke which was fine until the mount failure which is being solved with a new crossmember and mounts made from poly CJ body mounts and some tube. I'll also be finding/fabbing a shroud as well if anyone has any input on that.

My thoughts are that the straight fan would cool better than the clutch fan, however would I run into temp problems (not letting the engine heat up to running temp) in cold weather? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? I would like to stay away from the electric fans for simplicity and reliability.

fubar73cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 46404
your thermostat will maintain your minimum temp no matter how much rad/fan you run so thats not an issue for you to be concerned with

I would run neither if money was not an issue, a good flex fan is the ticket for max cooling and low horsepower loss

if money is a problem, i would go fixed fan because i have seen too many clutch fans fail without you even knowing it, until you started overheating from time to time (usually at the worst times)

and as you already know, when running a mechanical fan, be sure your clearance in between the fan and the rad will be enough even if there is a problem with mild component movement
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1868
Send a message via MSN to Grandpa Jeep
I would go thermostatic clutch fan all the way. It only engages when it's needed and will disengage when it's not. It will also disengage when it hits water, so if water crossings are in your future, you won't have to take the belt off.
Grandpa Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 31688
Found some more threads, thanks to "thermostatic" made it a lot easier to search. Probably going to go with the clutch fan.

Thanks
fubar73cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote