dry cell vs orbital cell - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
dry cell vs orbital cell

dry cell vs orbital cell

whats the difference? i know comp rules say dry cell, but the battery from napa that i have, i was told it was orbital...or whatever. i dont know nothing about batteries
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 47054
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b
dry cell vs orbital cell

whats the difference? i know comp rules say dry cell, but the battery from napa that i have, i was told it was orbital...or whatever. i dont know nothing about batteries
Check out this thread and do a search...lots of info from people that know more than me and I worked in the battery industry for 6 years designing automation equipment.

/forum/general-4x4-discussion/379659-drycell-battery.html

Most "dry" cell batteries use Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) separator material between positive and negative lead plates to isolate them from on another. The AGM separator material absorbs the hydro-sulphuric acid like a sponge so that there is no "free" acid in the battery like in a standard flooded-cell type automotive application. Standard modern flooded-cell technology uses a polyethylene/silica separator material to isolate the plates, where either the positive or negative plates are enveloped or encapsulated by the thin (~.006") PE material.

The only difference between the two battery types you're describing is the shape of the lead plates. A more typicaly AGM battery design uses flat, rectangular plates to make the groups whereas the Optima/Orbital type design uses much wider plates wound in a spiral cell.

That's a very brief description, hope it helps.