Losing tranny fluid??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 50663
Losing tranny fluid???

Guys, I just bought a 89 suburban and some work had been done to the transmission. I don't know if things weren't put back right or what, but here are the things that are wrong with it...
Transmission pan is leaking badly...
Transfer case is leaking were the two halfs come together very badly....
oil is dripping off of the u-joint (rear of transfer)...Lots of oil here...
I didn't think oil could come out of the u-joint area, is this leaking around the shaft spines or something..
So as you can see i have massive tranny fluid hemoraging. I think the seal from the transfer to the tranny is gone becuase i checked the transfer case and the oil was just below the plug, and then i filled up the transmission to full and rechecked the transfer and oil came rushing out when i pulled the fill plug. I drove about 100 miles and then checked fluid and it needed 1.5 quarts!!!! There is fluid all over the bottom side and especially above the u-joint...you can see where there is oil build up on the muffler.
Also when the transfer case halfs where put back together, there is no apparent sealant oozing out of the seam...like none was installed here.

I am going to pull the transfer case this weekend and try to install new seals throughout as well as pull the transfer case apart and reseal this joint.

Can you guys give me some information that may be common sense or some pointers on how to put things back right......I'm not a mechanic, but have pulled a few transmissions...no experience with transfer cases....Thanks for any advice and bring on the flaming!!!!!!!!!
jake3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 50360
Send a message via AIM to NetBSD Send a message via Yahoo to NetBSD
grab a manual from advanced auto or something, they are easy to do tho. are you sure the t-case isnt leaking from the yokes? i know mine is and it looks like oil on the t-case, my front one is leaking like a bitch from when i pulled it to put a new clutch in, if this is the case its an easy fix. good luck
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 50663
Netbsd....What is the easy fix for this problem with the yokes? I'm sure that this is one of the problems with the rear yoke...

Thanks for the info.... I don't know who did the work as i just bought the truck.....I pulled the transfer case this weekend and will go through and replace all of the seals....while the driveshafts are down, i will replace all of the u-joints as they are still the old wax style......

When removing the t-case i thought of another question; The transfer case bolted to, what looked like a transition piece that bolted to the transmission with 4 bolts. This transition piece is also what supported the back of the transmission and mounted to the support bracket that is bolted to the frame...My question is this; Is there a seal in this piece that I would need to seal while i have things tore apart? Maybe i need to support the back of the transmition and pull this "transition" (sorry, don't know what it's called) and replace some seals?

I also rigged up some blocking, a ratchet strap, and a floor jack to lower the transfer case... I can see where this would be next impossible to raise it back up....I am doing this work by myself as there is no one around to help out...I'm sure that there is some sort of bracket that you could buy or make for cheap to cradle the t-case and raise it up.... What do you folks do for this?

when i pulled the yoke out of the transfer case..everything was in one piece. I'm having a hard time figuring out how so much oil could be around the u-joint area. The floor just above the joint is completely clean (not dirty with mud) and covered in oil, and there is a build up of burnt oil about 3/4" thick on the muffler.

I looked at the pan gasket on the transmission and it is not a cork gasket. Most of the gasket area is dry except at the rear passenger side corner. where there is a very bad leak....I will just replace the seal i quess????

Thanks for the advice...

Do you have any good pointers on when i put this back in my rig??
jake3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 49147
Wow that a reeeaall good tranny shop.

As for the transition piece yes. If you have fluid coming from the tranny to the transfer then the rear seal is out of the tranny. This will have to be fixed. Also when you replace the transmission pan gasket make sure you do not over tighten the bolts it sounds like this is the problem you are currently having with it. As for the front output shaft. The thing is always giong to leak if the seal is bad so there will be alot of fluid coming out of it.