Off Road Tires Advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 68944
Off Road Tires Advice

I own a 2001 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4...I used to use it for long commute to work so I would always buy normal road tires. However since I dont have to use it for commuting I would like to look at buying some meaner looking off road tires. I currently have the factory 17" rims on it, and dont really have the money to lift it right now. Can anyone suggest some tires?

Most of my off roading occurs at the sand dunes.

I am a total noob what should I be looking for in tires? Is there any brands I should stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by PhxGuy520; 03-09-2006 at 12:33 PM.
PhxGuy520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41969
I would suggest the BFG All Terrrains or the Cooper STT's. Probably in a 32-11.50 or 31-11.50

Originally Posted by Dan Dibble
"In my opinion this is a motor sport so I like to have one. Any more questions "
Dan
botiejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 68944
Quote:
Originally Posted by botiejeep
I would suggest the BFG All Terrrains or the Cooper STT's. Probably in a 32-11.50 or 31-11.50

Thanks for the reply. Just so I am actually learning something can you tell me what each of the numbers mean?

Can you recommend a dealer?

Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 63956
Okay well in this case (32-11.5) 32 inches means the diameter and 11.5 inches means the width. If you want a mean looking tire I don't think a BFG All Terrains are going to do it for you. They are great tires but if you want something that will be a little more on the aggresive side look into either a Super Swamper SSR or a BFG Mud Terrains. Those will both actually qualify as being useful in offroad situations. I am not exactly sure what the tallest tire you can fit in your truck is, but the dealership sure will. I would say call the dealership and ask them what the biggest diameter and width tire you can throw under your truck is then go to any tire local tire store and pick up some BFG M/T. BFG = BF Goodrich M/T= mud terrain. They will be really nice on road and be of use offroad as well.
voiceshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 68944
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceshadow
Okay well in this case (32-11.5) 32 inches means the diameter and 11.5 inches means the width. If you want a mean looking tire I don't think a BFG All Terrains are going to do it for you. They are great tires but if you want something that will be a little more on the aggresive side look into either a Super Swamper SSR or a BFG Mud Terrains. Those will both actually qualify as being useful in offroad situations. I am not exactly sure what the tallest tire you can fit in your truck is, but the dealership sure will. I would say call the dealership and ask them what the biggest diameter and width tire you can throw under your truck is then go to any tire local tire store and pick up some BFG M/T. BFG = BF Goodrich M/T= mud terrain. They will be really nice on road and be of use offroad as well.
Exactly the info I was looking for. Yes, the aggresive side look is what I was going for. I have been looking at the mud terrains, but this will give me something else to look at also.

One more question...Is it worth it to buy tires online and then find a place to mount them? I see tires online a little cheaper, but I have to think most places will kill you on mounting charges since you didnt buy from them.

Thanks to both of you for the help.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Get the BFG All terrains. They last and they do great in the sand. Mud tires wear quickly. Often you won't even get 20k out of a mud tire. I've found that I can get tires much cheaper locally than online. I call every place in the phone book and after they give me the quote I tell them that I'm paying cash and ask them if that's their best price. I recently for a set of 33" BFG All Terrains for $600 mounted and balanced when most people want $800 or more.
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 68944
Quote:
Originally Posted by GubNi
Get the BFG All terrains. They last and they do great in the sand. Mud tires wear quickly. Often you won't even get 20k out of a mud tire. I've found that I can get tires much cheaper locally than online. I call every place in the phone book and after they give me the quote I tell them that I'm paying cash and ask them if that's their best price. I recently for a set of 33" BFG All Terrains for $600 mounted and balanced when most people want $800 or more.
How are the coopers on wear?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 39522
Get a set of the toyo mts, they wear like iron, little expensive but they will easily out wear and perform these other tires.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 68944
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveToy
Get a set of the toyo mts, they wear like iron, little expensive but they will easily out wear and perform these other tires.
Is there a chain that carries those by any chance?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6421
Send a message via ICQ to Al Kaholick Send a message via AIM to Al Kaholick
tsl's look good, and they work pretty well. If youre just going for looks the thornbirds look cool, but thats about theyre good for

Place banana in your ear.
Observe that there is no alligators around.
Conclude bananas placed in ears keep aligators away.

[/QUOTE]
Al Kaholick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 42067
Send a message via AIM to 88wildrunner
go to 4wheelparts.com they have what you need, just tell them what you want and theyl set you up with something
88wildrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 39522
I know les schwab has them if your in the northwest.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 68944
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wildrunner
go to 4wheelparts.com they have what you need, just tell them what you want and theyl set you up with something
I keep seeing ads for pro comp tires buy 3 get 1 free. Are these tires any good?