Cut-out Flares - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29146
Cut-out Flares

I just purchased an 85 crew cab and was wondering if anyone new if the Bushwacker cut-out fender flares actually require triming of the fender and wheel well so as to increase the room for bigger tires? I checked on the Bushwackers site and they say some do and some do not. If they do not does anyone know of any flares that would allow me to trim for more room and still keep a clean look?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Cutouts are called Cutouts for a reason. They require fender trimming. I am not aware of any set of Cutouts that doesn't for any vehicle. Either way, Bushwackers suck. One "wack" from a "bush" will break them all to pieces.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 23379
You can make your own out of a used tire. One of my friends made some out of a used TSL and they looked pretty cool, dont know how nice your truck is though.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17632
The front fenders on Dodge trucks have the inner fender curve down all the way to the wheel opening. Yes they would have to be cut to make the wheel opening bigger. I've heard that if the inner fenders are not secured to the fenders, it seriously weekens the front end structure. Looking at my truck I believe it. Unless it is done right, I think it would really hurt the truck. How big of a tire do you want to run anyway?
Travis..
Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23379
I does weeken the front end to take the inner fender out but if you do take it out then you can just reach in and bend your fender out as far as you need to cover the tire. Thats what I did, then when I get to the trail I just bend em back in to uncover the tire.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29146
Here is a pic of the truck. Not sure if I want to cut into the fenders to open them up, leave it as is, or lift it more to get some 37's under it. Not wanting to go to high becuase I want to keep it stable for sidehilling (sometimes sliding sideways down hills) during hunting season. That was the reason I was thinking about the cut out flares. Need to be able to clear with 8mm square link tire chains on all 4 corners. Maybe go to 6" of lift, cut the fenders and tack weld the inner fender to the outer fender and throw on some line-x'd flares to keep it clean?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Uhhhh, no. Just send me that awesome truck! Damn, that's a nice clean truck. If you really must have flares, the cutouts do look decent when painted and properly installed. I probably wouldn't lift a truck like that unless I really had too. It's too nice to wheel a lot and a I would personally prefer it as is. If you do lift it, I'd go as far as 4". Just my .02
Old 03-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11038
Send a message via ICQ to sweden
Sweet rig you got there.
sweden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17904
I'd actually just put a set of 33" Swampers/boggers on it. you're not really high enough to clear 37s and you shouldn't need chains with the Swampers or Boggers. For sidehilling something on 37's, better you than me. I wouldn't cut that pristine truck up. Get something else for hunting.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 29146
The places I go you have to run chains no matter what tires you are running. I hunt in Montana and you need at least one set of chains to get up a lot of the roads even with only an inch of snow (steep). Does not matter becuase someone else offered the guy several thousand more than I was purchasing it for and had money on the spot. I could not get the money untill next week. Start the search again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.