Regualr Wheels or Bead locks - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 55830
Regualr Wheels or Bead locks

I know money weren;t the issue just go staright to bead locks, but on a very tight budget if i could skip the bead locks and just use regualar rock crawlers that woudl be awsome.

the problem is here. i have heard the 16.5 rims lip is small so on regualr rims when you air down you a re very likely to slip the bead, does this rule run the same for 16 inch wheels ? ? ? ?

i'm doing a diff swa on my yj to 3/4 tons axles 8 lug and need to buy the wheels, what do you see or recomend here ? ? ? ?

Thanks fo r your time in reading this and answering
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67386
Send a message via AIM to HsOffRoad
16.5" wheels have no safety bead... it's not that the lip is small, it's that there is no lip there at all. Therefore, even with an outer beadlock, a 16.5" rim is worthless because you'll lose the inner bead when you air down. The only solution is inner & outer beadlocks or one of those sandwich style gizmos that you insert in the tire.

15",16", & 17" rims all have safety beads, it's only the 16.5" that dosen't. As for if you need beadlocks, I'd say only if you plan on really airing down the tires below 12-15 psi (provided the rims you use have a safety bead on them). A regular safety-bead rim should hold 90% of the time with 12+ psi of air in it. Aside from the obvious advantage of retaining the bead, the beadlocks are nice because they keep stuff from getting jammed in between the rim & the tire, and they keep the edge of the rim from getting dinged on rocks. But they certainly aren't tops on my list of needed mods.

Hans
"Shut Up And Wheel Your Junk" - UROC/NEUROC Super-Mod Team #143
HsOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 68512
you can also go cheap and do the tek screw method. it even works with 16.5 rims. and with a YJ, i doubt you could blow a bead above 5psi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.