big bearing nine? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10086
Send a message via AIM to aaron t Send a message via Skype™ to aaron t
big bearing nine?

if i want to build a 609 hybrid front, and i want to use 35 spline axles, what do i get the nine inch third out of? i am guessing that none of them came stock with that spline count, but what housing do i need to get to build it up? a strange third bare is like 240 new......
Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 47054
That would depend on what you're planning on putting it into. I would say find a 1977 or newer because the housings were stronger with the broader center section however this could pose certain problems depending on how much offset you plan to run, suspension configuration, oil pan clearance, etc.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10086
Send a message via AIM to aaron t Send a message via Skype™ to aaron t
i have all of my fitment issues well in hand. i just don't know where to find the nine inch third that i need to run a 35 spline arb.
it will most likely be like every thing else, what i need or want is exactly what everyone else needs or wants and there are none out there.

i guess i must have posted this in the wrong forum. i did search and didn't really find what i was looking for. so i guess i will have to brave the waters of general and bump down some of the give away threads
Old 05-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47054
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron t
i have all of my fitment issues well in hand. i just don't know where to find the nine inch third that i need to run a 35 spline arb.
it will most likely be like every thing else, what i need or want is exactly what everyone else needs or wants and there are none out there.

i guess i must have posted this in the wrong forum. i did search and didn't really find what i was looking for. so i guess i will have to brave the waters of general and bump down some of the give away threads
Sorry, I thought you were talking housing. The only options that you have for 35 spline axle shafts are going to be aftermarket 3rd members. You'll need to have the 3.250" carrier bearings which Ford never offered.

The only way you can squeeze 35 spline shafts into a 3.063" bearing 3rd member is to run one of the spools designed for it...and it is my understanding that they are rather thin and geared more towards drag racers but I've never run one.