Dismounting larger tires - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43427
Send a message via AIM to ButtNuttN8
Dismounting larger tires

Id like a basic how to on dismounting large tires by hand. I took my 38.5x15x15 tires to get dismounted and they chunked the tires.. they went good for the tire but now wont touch big tires. Now place in my area even the large commerical truck tire places will touch big offroad tires so i need to learn how to do it by hand if anyone could help that would be great

thanks
ButtNuttN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16536
Popping the bead is the hardest part. Once you get that, get two big prybars and some soapy water in a spray bottle. Spray the around the bead, step on one side of the tire to get the bead off the rim, enough to get the prybar in a pry it over the lip of the rim. Work your way around the rim. I don't take tires to get mounted or dismounted anymore, do it all myself.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 37512
A highlift jack works fairly well to pop the beads then use the prybar method.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30098
http://www.extremeoutback.com/index....d=2242431.4060

Try these guys.
[FONT=Arial]Feature Editor C4x4.com. Former owner of project This Old Scout. New owner of Project 'Blue Oval YJ', an 89 Wrangler with lots of potential! [url]http://www.c4x4.com/new_projects/yj/blue_oval_yj.html[/url] [/FONT]
mtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 43427
Send a message via AIM to ButtNuttN8
thanks for the fast response im gonna get some big @$$ tire irons and some soapy water and give it a go i figure ill try the tire they messed up because i cant screw it up any more then it is. thanks agian
ButtNuttN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 49329
I've got a question on popping beads. I've seen people use another truck to pop a bead by laying the tire down flat, then driving the second truck up onto it. I can't imagine this being the best way to go about it, does this hurt the tire at all?
Randomquikfingrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 69477
Send a message via AIM to Christoff Send a message via MSN to Christoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomquikfingrs
I've got a question on popping beads. I've seen people use another truck to pop a bead by laying the tire down flat, then driving the second truck up onto it. I can't imagine this being the best way to go about it, does this hurt the tire at all?
Its works just fine. I have been around when it has been done and it is pretty quick and easy. Never heard of anyone having problems with doing it that way.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 50360
Send a message via AIM to NetBSD Send a message via Yahoo to NetBSD
i use my 1990 dodge spirit to pop the small tires, and my buddies larger trucks to pop a bigger tire, works perfect, specially if you use the front tire because you can roll all the way around the bead to pop it
Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
I have an install on my site (just ingore the tube part)
http://www.welldonefab.com/install.htm
removal is the same, I just use a high lift jack on the bead to unseat it.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 42425
I use the tractor up at work to pop the beads, works good so far. If I have to Ill pull out the skid steer Also try the Advanced Tire shine instead of soap and water, its in a clearish bottle that has like a purple tint to it, we use it to mount tires up at work (atv tires) they seat on the bead with anywhere from 10-20 psi instead of the usual 30-40. I usually can slide the first side of the tire over the rim without any tools but the second side I usually have to get the stuff out to do it with.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47974
The easiest way I've found to pop the beads (easiest part of changing a tire). Is to jack the front end of your truck up with a highlift, with the base of the jack on the tire (tire laying flat) next to the rim to break the bead. Easy as pie.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 50360
Send a message via AIM to NetBSD Send a message via Yahoo to NetBSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud_slinga
I use the tractor up at work to pop the beads, works good so far. If I have to Ill pull out the skid steer Also try the Advanced Tire shine instead of soap and water, its in a clearish bottle that has like a purple tint to it, we use it to mount tires up at work (atv tires) they seat on the bead with anywhere from 10-20 psi instead of the usual 30-40. I usually can slide the first side of the tire over the rim without any tools but the second side I usually have to get the stuff out to do it with.

WD-40 does the same job
Old 08-17-2006, 02:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 76684
I second the high lift idea. I pull the hitch out of my receiver and put the high lift in the receiver and use it that way, same difference. Soap, spoons, and a 5 -gallon pail and you'll be good to go. Keep in mind you'll need to keep the tire bead in the drop center portion of the wheel to help it come off, so always work on the side of the wheel the drop center is closest too. If you have any trouble inflating, a ratchet strap around the tire tread can help seat beads, also setting it on the 5 gallon pail, seating the bottom bead by pushing down, then pulling up to seat the top bead with air going can help. There is a tire goop you can fill in between the wheel and tire with to stop air leaking to seat beads to. Last case scenario is the ether and match, be careful. I managed to buy a bubble balancer with tools and weights for $60 at an auction. Works well enough for balancing tires for me.

Last edited by nissancrawler; 08-17-2006 at 03:00 AM.
nissancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote