4.3 chevy swap into toyota questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 73342
4.3 chevy swap into toyota questions

Im definately a newbie and need a bit of guidance on this. So heres my plan:

I have a 85 toyota with carb and 22r with the stock 5 speed

I got a 4.3 chevy for 80 bucks, it needs rebuild. Its TBI. Im taking that off and bolting a carb to it (i understand the tbi is better, but i better understand the carb than the tbi). So that means i need to change out the intake, buy the carb and get a new distributor. And I beleive thats it , am I forgetting anything else I would have to switch out?

Im bolting it up to a 700r4 or th350, Havent got one yet. But will probably run a chevy transfer case too since i dont want to pay 500 for an adapter to use my toyota tranfer case. Any problem in this? What about the stock crossmember? will the transmission mount in the same place my old one will or will I have to fab some kind of other transmission mount?

I know i can use the 4.3 power steering pump and just have to get chevy fittings on the end of my hoses.

And I dont know what ill do about fuel. If my current sender on the tank now will work or if i will have to convert to the GM type sender.

Also about the distributor. Which type distributor will i need?

Im sure im missing a lot of things. But im not sure of everything I need to get the swap going. So please feel free to point out other things im going to need besides the obvious. (motor mounts and such). And any problems with what im going to do.
t0talkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 64817
Stop being an old fart that refuses to use new technology! The TBI is actually simpler than most carburetors. Don't let a few wires scare you. Take the time to learn how it works and you'll be WAY happier in the long run. The TBI only requires 11 PSI fuel pressure and it doesn't care how it gets it. If your stock in-tank pump supplies that much you're in business. Otherwise, I recommend an in-line aftermarket pump and a regulator.

For your application, I think you'd be happy with the factory stock distributor. Upgrade it later if you must, but the factory one works very well.

The crossmember is almost certain not to line up properly so expect to build a custom one. It's not hard to do as long as you set everything in place before you weld so you are sure to get it exactly in the right position before making anything permanent.

Your transfer case choice will certainly save you money on an adapter, but don't forget that it requires custom driveshafts to be built to match. That probably would have happened anyways though due to length differences of the new engine/transmission.

One bit of fair warning from past experiences on projects like this: It will take twice as much money and 10 times more time than your highest initial estimate! GOOD LUCK!
AERONUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 73342
Yeah i expect to spend at least 3 or 4 grand on the whole thing.

Im actually pretty young. lol I just would rather go with a carb. Thats why I think I have to get the new distributor. But i also think that TBI definately isnt new technology. I just dont like it. Never have. Ive owned vehicles with it and just never liked it.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 73342
I was looking at the painless wiring kits and they run pretty high, i could convert this thing for about how much it would just for the wiring.

Also, I think the TBI on there is bad. Its been sittin gin the rain (as well as everything else on it) and weather for probably 6months to a year.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 77128
The tuned port injected is what you want if im not mistaken it has about 30 more ponies, Its going to cost more but thats what i would look for i think they were made in the early 90s, not sure about that, anyone know wheen that tpi 4.3 came out?
Toyota 4runner frame, 1991 extra cab, all pro 4" leaf springs, allpro high steer, allpro axle forward, rock logic ram assist steering, marlin crawler, ifs rear end, rear disks, detriot lockers, 38.5 boggers, fuel cell, front and rear warn 8000s, four link rear, corbeau buckets, dana 60s on the way
sledneck29 is offline   Reply With Quote