Pirate 4x4 banner

Ford 9" axle shaft length

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bremen242 
#1 ·
I've posted about this axle before on this board, but I never asked about how to measure the axle for shaft length using just the housing. The axle came with only one 28 spline shaft, I need to either cut down these 31 spline shafts I have now or just order 35 spline alloys, and I need to know the dimensions. It came out of a 1972 Ford F100 2wd truck, and I can't find a damn thing about it anywhere. I can't find stampings on the housing(pretty well rusted on the outside) and no tags on the case.

#2 ·
wooo, some really good information right there!

Alright, doesn't have to be a 9"....how would I measure the axle shaft length with no brakes or a mounting surface to work with? That and I won't have a carrier in there either...3rd member housing and all.

#3 · (Edited)
I can't really tell you how to measure.. But for starters, I think you would need the center and the bearing retainer plate at the end so you know how to measure it.

If you have one 28 spline shaft, you should be able to use the length of it. all the ford 9" shafts (in pickups) i've dealt with are the same length on either side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.