Pirate 4x4 banner

D44

788 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Nor Cal Wheelin 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how well they would hold up to eather a Super Swamper TSL 36x14 or Irok 36x13, they will be on a S-10 ZR2. I play on trails and mud if that would make any diff. any feed back would be nice. btw shes still a IFS truck, but i'm just tryin to work out some fine details before i go out and start buying everything.

#2 · (Edited)
Most people here would say NO, get a D60. :D

In this instance I would agree. It's probably on the outer fringe of what a D44 is capable of, with V8 power and a healthy dose of skinny pedal you would probably be breaking stuff soon with those heavy tires. Chromoly axles and very good u-joints (CTM's etc) will help it live a longer life, but 60's would be a good investment.

#7 ·
seems to hold up pretty well to heavier 37s (37x12.5-15 Trxus MTs). mine is chromo'd with 760s and I'm not easy on it at all. :D

I beat the crap out of it in Tellico a couple months ago and everything was just fine for the drive home (back to Chicago area)

do you truly think you'll never go bigger than 36"ish tire? the width will hurt you a little too. I went the standard 12.5 wide for my setup.

if you think you might want to go bigger than a 37, then start thinking about a D60 the first time around. I went the D44 since we knew I was doing 37s and that's all I could afford. I only paid $75 for the D44 and then got brakes and the Yukon axles and it's been wheelin strong for almost 3 years now.

#9 ·
i just tell people,i have broke 2 shafts this year with a Nissan 3.0L bone stock engine. 5.38 gears and 36 x 12.50 TSL's.. make your own assumptions

#10 ·
2nd that... I broke all kinds of stuff... How ever, I am going to use the axle in my sammy.... You will just have to try it and see if it works for ya...

It didnt work for me, But I have a friend with a sas'd s-10 who has been runnig 36's on a d-44 for a couple years now with out major breakage..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.