Pirate 4x4 banner

86 4runner ifs to solid axle Help!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Wilson 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a old 4runner and was wondering how hard it would be to convert ifs to solid axle? any advice would be appreciated.

#5 ·
It is some what of a tough call. even with a 85 youll end up having to do a crossover steering kit 350$ find a IFS box 50$ plus all the other little things. Spend as much time in the Toyota forum as you can, there is more info there than you could ever read! Ive got a 85 runner that I ran 33"s on for a year and I just finished redoing my whole front suspension, basically doing every thing a IFS guy would have done. My thread on it:http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527975
Are you looking to do all the work your self? With an IFS rig youll have to cut alot more old stuff off than a factory live axle and then find a good used solid axle to swap in but really thats it.

#6 ·
To an extent I agree with what's being said ^^^^ If you're going to wheel the rig, there are a lot of things in the kit that you'd need to buy anyways. Since you're asking the question I'm going to assume your fab skills and experience are not enough to tackle a homebrew "kit"

-Leaf Springs
-Shackles
-Brake lines
-High Steer
-Upgraded brakes

By buying an '85 you could do these things a little at a time, although if you're going to do the lift, the steering, brakes etc should be done anyways. Also the stock spring hanger on the SA trucks are much weaker than the aftermarket hangers. My point is don't let the cost of the kit sway your decision, you'll buy most of the stuff anywys. The best bet may be to find an already somewhat built rig for sale and start there. Let someone else absorb the initial cost of upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.