Pirate 4x4 banner

Panhard Bar...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MudKick 
#1 ·
My buddy has a 1 ton GMC on rockwells that he bought used. Previous owner had a panhard bar on the front axle and its run from upper passenger's to lower driver's, which is opposite of the steering, which I thought was supposed to be a big no-no. TO make matters worse, on the first trip out he ripped the lower mount off of the axle.

From what we've heard the guy who owned this truck didn't wheel it very hard. It's a big bad truck that's been babied for 4 or 5 years and now my buddy is hammering on it so we're assuming that's why it broke.

So before we put it back together, is this thing even necessary? It's a mud truck, 1 ton GMC, rockwells, 44" TSL front 44" boggers rear. There's no links or anything else, just huge leaf springs bolted to huge axles.. lol

-Jay

#2 · (Edited)
If theres not alot of play on the shackles then imo it doesnt need it.

Im not a panhard bar expert but i also though it was a big no no to have it opposite from the drag link.

Iv ran leafspring for awile and only needed to do a panhard bar when i put flexjoints on the front shackles. ( axle would twist would i turn the steering wheel )

Take the fawker off and keep beating on it. :flipoff2:

#3 · (Edited)
Panhard locates the axle laterally and is primarily used in linked suspension that does not have a lot of link triangulation.
With up and down suspension travel it will swing like a pengelum forcing the axle to move from side to side. Depending on the severity of the angle at rest and the amount of drop/stuff in the suspension, this effect can be rather significant. If your steering is opposite of the penhard the two pengelums will fight each other. The panhard always wins, creating a massive and unpredictable bump steer. :eek

So... yes, it's a big no, no. If you have massive leafs and like the previous poster mentioned: not a lot of slop in your bushings, just ditch the panhard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.