Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained
above the normal operating range.

p1391
Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft
position sensor.

p0141
Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit
malfunction.

I got these codes in my TJ. What the heck do they mean?

#2 ·
WHat is means is that the 1v signal to you o2 sensor is above 1v- very bad. The second one means that your crank position sensor lost power. third ones means that somthings wrong with the o2 sesnor, the computer sent an instruction to it and it did not respond correctly.

Here is a common senario: your o2 sensor is shorting internally and it causes voltage from the heater cuircut to the 1v side. THis causes a large power drop when its shorting out, causing a one trip fault from your crank sensor.

#3 ·
jarvisjeep said:
WHat is means is that the 1v signal to you o2 sensor is above 1v- very bad. The second one means that your crank position sensor lost power. third ones means that somthings wrong with the o2 sesnor, the computer sent an instruction to it and it did not respond correctly.

Here is a common senario: your o2 sensor is shorting internally and it causes voltage from the heater cuircut to the 1v side. THis causes a large power drop when its shorting out, causing a one trip fault from your crank sensor.
Wow!! I have read that 5 times and still have no idea what you are talking about. Can you give me the idiot version, Like "Go buy this part, look for bad part here, and replace like this"?

And you say that it is above 1 volt and thats very bad. How bad? Like death to all bad or you have to buy a new o2 sensor bad?

#4 · (Edited)
jarvisjeep said:
Could this shortage cause smoke to billow out of the cowell area and also fill the interrior with smoke? I had this happen last friday and have yet to find the source.

Edit: Here is a link to my burning problem http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534070

#5 · (Edited)
Did the check engine light come on after this happend? If it did, then duh! its probably related. If not, then you could have a few(3,4,5 or more) diffrent problems. I have never seen an o2 sensor fill the cab with smoke, but it is possible.

What we do at work next is put the vehicle in the Scan Tool and check the peramitors of the o2 sensors and all the pcm functions. If a wire if fried, then somting might be picked up here. Did you check all your fuses yet? If we fould nothing in the Scan Tool Test, then follow EVERY wire in the vehicle from the o2 sensors to the pcm. The Scan Tool Testing would of found a bad o2 sensor or not also fyi.

This fix is probably above your head it sounds like. I have 30k of school into my head for this kind of stuff, and still get my ass kicked by problems like this. You are going to need a nice Scan Tool. not one you buy at the parts store, but one of those 5k-10k ones off the tool truck. Your going to need a good DVOM, like a fliuke or somthing like that. And the complete wiring diagrams for the vehicle. Thats were I would start.

You need to test the o2 sensor witha scan tool to see if the pcm is reading it. that is the next step IMO.

#6 · (Edited)
jarvisjeep said:
Did the check engine light come on after this happend? If it did, then duh! its probably related. If not, then you could have a few(3,4,5 or more) diffrent problems. I have never seen an o2 sensor fill the cab with smoke, but it is possible.

What we do at work next is put the vehicle in the Scan Tool and check the peramitors of the o2 sensors and all the pcm functions. If a wire if fried, then somting might be picked up here. Did you check all your fuses yet? If we fould nothing in the Scan Tool Test, then follow EVERY wire in the vehicle from the o2 sensors to the pcm. The Scan Tool Testing would of found a bad o2 sensor or not also fyi.

This fix is probably above your head it sounds like. I have 30k of school into my head for this kind of stuff, and still get my ass kicked by problems like this. You are going to need a nice Scan Tool. not one you buy at the parts store, but one of those 5k-10k ones off the tool truck. Your going to need a good DVOM, like a fliuke or somthing like that. And the complete wiring diagrams for the vehicle. Thats were I would start.

You need to test the o2 sensor witha scan tool to see if the pcm is reading it. that is the next step IMO.
Over my head? Over my head? Hell, it is so over my head it is not even in the same galaxy!! I would just pull it down to the dealership, but my gosh that will me expensive!! And in the past they have balked at working on my junk. Something about not wanting to do it because it is modified????

edit: And no the check engine light was on before the smoke, but it could have been on for just 1 code and i wouldn't have known any difference! DUH!!

#7 ·
Dealerships are the a massive problem in our area. They lie, cheat, steal, etc...

Dont you have a normal repair shop you goto? Somone trustworthy. Been in town for 15 years, family owned, everyone ase master certified, Nerd 1 2 and 3 certified, BBB, AAA, Napa Car Care etc... Or is that just the shop I work at? Dang I sound like a comercial.

The dealers send us the cars they can not fix. There very very lame around here IMO.

#8 ·
jarvisjeep said:
Dealerships are the a massive problem in our area. They lie, cheat, steal, etc...

Dont you have a normal repair shop you goto? Somone trustworthy. Been in town for 15 years, family owned, everyone ase master certified, Nerd 1 2 and 3 certified, BBB, AAA, Napa Car Care etc... Or is that just the shop I work at? Dang I sound like a comercial.

The dealers send us the cars they can not fix. There very very lame around here IMO.
No i don't, unfortunately. I have always done my own maintenance and modifications. Like a lot of the older generation, Icut my teeth on good ol carb'd v-8's. The newer computer controlled stuff is way outta my league. This is the first time this need has risen. Up to this point the engine on my TJ has been maintenance free.

Anyone wanna give me a heart attack and give me an idea of what a shop will charge for this?:eek: :eek: :eek:

#12 ·
95steel said:
I am in NW Arkansas. I know of a couple shops in the area that are good, and very familiar with jeeps.
I am in clarksville. east of Ft. Smith by about an hour, south of fayetteville by about 1:15. where are the shops. And don't say "come get ya some"!!!

#14 ·
95steel said:
haha, wasn't going to. Bentonville. Bout 20 minutes north of F'ville. Bohannon's and Fast Auto are excellent up here, also Chuck at Rock Ready in Fayetteville is great to deal with. Chuck is on here from time to time, runs with Ken Blume (go2guy) on here.

Thanks! You wheel Hot Springs much? My wife and i go about once a month. We are wheeling clayton over the New Years weekend. Next time or first time your headed to Hot Springs give me a PM. Maybe we can hook up

#16 ·
95steel said:
Sounds good. I am planning on heading down there this spring. A bunch of us are hitting the Cass (byrd's) area on the 30th. We are going to try to hit all the trails one more time before they close them.

What have you heard on that? I know they were having town meetings but I never heard the results. I wish they would take 10,000 acres and designate them off-road. Then they could let us do what we want and fine the hell out of us if we wheel out of the designated area. The Ozark-St Francis is over 1 million acres of forest. You'd think they could spare 10-15 thousand acres!!!!:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

By the way i grew up in Ozark. Its the town 17 miles south of byrds/cass. Been wheeling those trails for a long time.

#17 ·
I have been checking the St. Francis district web page, no updates..... like the comment period meant nothing.... I love the Ozark-Cass-Oark area for wheeling. The main problem is the rangers in that district have no idea about the trails. At the town hall meeting in springdale I asked every ranger that attended if they had been on any of the trails. NONE of them had. Kind of hard to do a study that closes the trails when they had never been on them. In ten years of wheeling down there I have only seen one ranger.... when the Rockcrawlers went out and GPS'd all our favorite trails... our favorite ranger then closed those trails. It sucks because the people they are trying to hurt all have the same stance...."catch me if you can". People like me who try to follow the rules are the ones hurt the most. If the closures go through as planned, Byrd's is going to have trouble with the lost business.

rant off.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.