Pirate 4x4 banner

Spool on the street?

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Nor Cal Wheelin 
#1 ·
How bad is it, really? Will I hate driving on the if I put a spool in the back of my Toyota? Any firsthand experience is appreciated

#3 · (Edited)
i put a spool in the back of my buddies yota pick up with 38.5's on it it certainly chirps the tires around turns.
my problem with spools is that your putting undo wear on really expensive tires

i had a spool in the back of my cherokee and it wouldnt turn for shit backing up on the trails, there were a few times i would drive thru thick trees and not be able to go any further forcing me to back up, well with the spool it made it interesting since it would turn sharper forward than backward

#6 ·
i dont run a spool, but i got friends who do. they like it because you ALWAYS know what its going to do, its consistent. where as with a locker, itll pop or whatever basically whenever it feels like it, but my no-slip isnt bad at all. choose what you think will work for you, consistency v. an actual differentiation most of the time

#10 · (Edited)
I run a spool in the back of my 82 toyota. it runs 5.29 and 36's. it was like this when i bought it. it doesnt bother me at all really besides i can hear my tires wearing away. Unless you are turning really tight its not to bad. It doesnt handle packed snow or ice to well. it is cheap and strong. i would do it

#15 ·
I have been running spools and welded diffs for a few years now and will never waist money on a detroit again.... If you can afford to go with ARB or OX or the electric stuff then do that... Other wise you wont really notice a spool. Sharp lock/ lock turns will produce chirping, wet roads will produce 360's if you are foot happy, snow and mud side hills will suck at best.....

Your tires will always be locked.... I love them...

((( bearbait ))) Dude you just need to stay out of the throttle..... I have had my Tsl's on my Dodge for about a year now and they are around half tread.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.