Pirate 4x4 banner

suspension questions

597 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  1ton383 
#1 ·
well what am i looking for as far as leaf springs, its a 1 ton 90 gmc going to have a d60 under it I want at least 6 inches of lift out of the springs. how long do i need them. o yea and i have done the drop shakle flip in the rear. what kind of shocks do i need also how many. do more shocks actually help you out or is it just bling, how much flex will i get. how far up can i move the front axle

#2 ·
Explain a little more of what you're going for.
There's a lot of springs that will do different things for you so its a little hard to address open ended.
I would imagine 52" leafs would be plenty up front with an SOA, but its hard to say.
What size tires you want to run? What will this be used for? Do you want to trim your fenders any? etc etc

#3 ·
do more shocks actually help you out or is it just bling, how much flex will i get. how far up can i move the front axle
Regarding this; need some more info too.
If your a high speed desert racer, yea two shocks a corner is better than one. They divide the dampening duties between them and dont get as hot as fast and cause fade, but usually racers will be using remote res gas shocks anyway, so yea, dual shocks is just bling and usually remote res shocks are just bling too. Very few people actually need the remote res.

#5 ·
In order to fit 44's you need a tall lift, or a lot of hacking. Either way its gonna look really goofy driving around on 35's then you're not bogging.

All lift springs are just premade, however the larger the lift, the shorter the span between mounting bolts becomes (usually a couple inches shorter than stock) and this doesn't help with the ride any. I would also install some boomerang shackles to get the angle a little better.

As was said earlier, you've left out a lot of info that is needed for choosing a lift. I personally like a soft ride, and will sacrifice whatever I need to to obtain it (IE. high speed cornering, towing capacity...) to a certain point. Too many variables man.

#8 ·
i dont rilly care for ride quality in somthin that i tear up constanly im just tring to figure out this stuff i know nothing about suspensions and axles well as in the guts in them i have a full floater 14 bolt and id like a locker in it but i have no clue to which one of thos either never used one lol, i am totally new at building a dedicated 4x4. i have aways been an avid off roader but i have al was run what i drove to and the only mods i did was 33s and a body lift. and i was happy hell i could drive thru any shit down here. but now i want somethin beefy that i can brag about and actually use not anyone around here with there 50000 doller trucks they bought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.