Pirate 4x4 banner

would it be worth it

1K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  1ton383 
#1 ·
would it be worth swapping my th400 for a 4 speed manual. i dont no how hard itll be but i swaped out a th350 to a 4 speed in a 76 chevy befor and im shur it cant be as hard as that can it?

#6 ·
well i love my th400 i rilly would perfer to keep it in my truck the only draw back is id like to drive atleast 75mph down the road and with 35s and 4.56s. plus 1st gear is about all i got in the mudd 2 is too high geared. i would like a 4 speed i think i have alwas liked them althogh i have never had one in a 4x4. and as for a 5 spd whats the use of having that if you cant ever use 5th gear lol cuz its too high. well this is why i ask your opinions.

#11 ·
how can i run a five speed if i cant use 5th gear again my friends got the same truck i do but with a 5 spd and fith is useless if you put in fith you just start to lose speed. i would use a klune over drive but its like 2000 bucks. i have a rebuilt 4 spd manual and my th 400 is rebuilt too. if i could go with a 5 apd i would but still only 4 gears.

#12 · (Edited)
Klune Overdrive vs a 5 speed.

Pretty much the same thing.

4th gear on 4 & 5 speeds are 1 to 1 ratio.
5th gear on a 5 speed is like .75-.90 IIRC.

Sounds like your friend has high gears in his difs.

If you are going 35s or bigger, you need a minimum of 4.56s.

You can do 75 with a 4 speed, 35s & 4.56s. You'll just be sitting at 4k RPMs.

#17 ·
this is what i asked you about

you say its pretty much the same thing how is it the same thing if a klune over drive makes my th400 have 3 gears plus an over drive the same as a 5 speed and then you show that 4th is the same on 4 and 5 speed sticks i am not vs ing th350 to th400s i dont give 2 shits about a th350 all i said was that i switch one to a 4 speed stick in a 76 chevy becuse chevy automatics are the worst thing chevy ever engenered and the burn up all the time

#13 ·
your friend either has crappy gears, or a extremely tired motor.. 350 I'm guessing?

With 4.56's and 35's you should have no problem pulling 5th gear on the highway. The only downside I see with a 5 speed is the extra cost.
Personaly, I go with the 465, and be done with it.

#14 ·
ok how is a klune over drive on a th400 which is a 3 speed which then makes it a 4 speed the same as a 5 speed and as i said above my friend has 4.10s and 35s and i have 4.56 i dont no much about 5 speeds but i no that the 4 speed i have is out of a 69 chevy 4x4 and its rebuilt and the sunchros are made of somthing that dont wear out as fast. i also have a 4 speed out of a 74 chevy 4x4 are they the same trannys ? i also have 2 out of fords 1 71 model and one 78 modle both 4x4 what should i use and have you guys dont this befor in a 88-98 chevy truck

#15 ·
You are talking TH350 vs TH400.....
When people talk 4 speed vs 5 speed, we are talking stick.
Comparing gear ratio of autos vs sticks in regards to wheeling is totally different.

You need to do some research.
Either buy a star or use google.

Try Novak & Advanced Adapters websites.

#24 ·
His tranny is vacumm shifted fuckstick.

1ton383. It matters not how many gears you have. What he is saying is the last gear ratio in a 5 speed stick transmission or an automatic with OD is the About the same.

Your gearing is just enough different where you may be able to use 5th gear. When I had a 5-speed in my truck with 4:10's I couldn't use OD. But my buddy with the same tires motor etc. could use 5th in his with 4:56's.

As for an auto to manual swap it should be pretty straight forward. You'll need the flywheel, clutch, tranny and t-case from a shevy truck with a 350. You will also need the pedal assembaly(SP?), master cyl, and slave cyl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.