Pirate 4x4 banner

help

791 views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  don't have a clue 
#1 · (Edited)
just bought a 81' toyota 4 banger 4x4 5speed comes with extra 82' t-case and 4speed trans.i paid 800.00 every thing works.i'm new to wheeling,did i do ok or get screwed.like the screen name says i don't have a clue,also should i leave it as is or start cutting on it.how do i put a pic of it on here?

#7 ·
For $800 if it doesn't blow up in 30 days or smell like rotten fish you did pretty good, no matter how bad it looks. If its your first 4x4, don't jump into modifying everything, make it reliable, get some decent tires on it (find some good used 31 or 32" tires, don't spend $600 on a new set cause you might want to upgrade), get a hilift, a strap, some friends who wheel, and learn how to drive it. Once you reach your, and your trucks limits, plan for future upgrades.

#9 ·
Do what this guy says. Start small, get your feet wet with real weheeling and then make more upgrades.

A small lift and some used tires (on budget) to start out with, hit a few local runs and catch up with someone that does the same.

Sooner or later you'll be Tracy Jordan in Rock Crawling events.

#8 ·
no it does'nt smell like fish,but i did find a 10 year old pemento cheese sandwitch and 2 cans of pbr under the seat.:barf: i am kinda new to wheeling,i mean i have been tearing shit up on and off road for years but never had or built a strictly off road/rock 4x4.i also have a 91'toy 22re 4x4 5 speed,and a day or so from buying a 91'toy v-6 5speed 4x4,all three would have been purchased for less than 2000.00,all run good and drive.i want a purpose built rig ya know woods,mud,rocks.you guys have more experence than i,so what would you do to combine the three trucks into one fun ass:smokin: ride.

#10 ·
thanks ritch and all others that have offered advice.:D since my first post yesterday i bought a 91' 6cyl 4x4 toy.i will just wheel all 3 and slowly build one.i think i want to build the 81' cause i just like the older trucks,maybe put the v-6 in the 81' and double up the cases swap the 6cyl rear in the 81' also
but till then just have a good time.

#11 ·
you got a great start. i paid 100 for mine without the spare trans and t-case. , swap out the rear axle for a later model, and redrill the t-case flanges and pinion flanges and use 84 and newer shafts. get a ifs box and order a crossover steering kit, and a steering box frame kit. then buy an adapter to put that t-case behind your existing one. if it has a short bed, look into putting the c/v driveshaft in the rear after a dual case setup is instaled. buy lift rear springs and forget about the chevy rear spring setup, put the stock rears in front. get some aftermarket shackle shocks and brakelines and you have a really good wheeler. then worry about lockers and upgraded axle shafts later. tires and wheels are easy to come by too on craigslist.

#12 · (Edited)
thanks.yes its a short(rusted) bed.i gonna put the 91'rear in.i got a ful hydro
setup from a guy whose shop cought fire,only 50.00.will the 91'v6 fit in the
81'. and can the 2-4cyl cases be changed to 23 spline to mate to the v-6
5 speed
you said put the stock rear springs in front,as in non lifted springs.
who sell good f/r springs flexy but tough.

#15 ·
The 3.0 V-6 doesn't have much more power then the 4 cylinder and it would be a ton of work to make it work. Personally I would get a 22RE for the fuel injection, or go with another V-6 swap. A 3.4 out of a Tacoma is a good motor, or you could go with a 4.3 Chevy V-6. Basically the 3.0 wouldn't be worth the trouble.

#16 ·
i understand about the 3.0,it will just go on the for sale pile.ya know now that you mention it someone else said get a 4.3 and a th350 for a swap.its good to know that there is a knowlage base like this for people to draw from.i think i would like a auto anyway that might help my learning curve.i want to wish all a Merry Christmas and don't forget to put a plate of 4.7 gears and a glass of 80/90w for santa.

#17 ·
3.0s are probably the worst motor toyota built, it has injection and more power than a 4cyl, but not enough power to put up with the PITA and $$$ of working on it in a project truck, much less I've owned a few 3.0 trucks, and specifically sought out a 90 22RE 5spd 4runner for DD/family wheeler. Building 3 4wds will keep you broke, and none will be great (If you have the money to build 3 great 4wds, you wouldn't be starting with $800 trucks). If all trucks are pretty much the same condition, I'd dd the V6 truck, keep it stock(ish) so you never have to fawk with it, and in a pinch you can recover/tow your rig with it. Forget the 81, sell it, or use it for parts. A sas on the RE truck is 3% of the work to put injection in the 81. The RE truck is a great starting point for a trail truck.

#19 ·
just don't run the v-6. I have seen on in an 81 truck in benton,ca. the truck wasn't done, but it did fit with frame mount reworking. the motor is no good to keep. the motors aren't really even worth rebuilding, you have a slight chance it will even run very long on a good rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.