Pirate 4x4 banner

Stuck steering arm/cone washers...

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  KWTMECH 
#1 ·
I have a spare D44 front that I got specifically for the stock steering arm... The J shaped piece with the three cone washers. Shot it with WD 40, banged on it with a hammer. Pushed it, pulled it. Soaked it. Bought a can of penetrating oil. Soaked it. Let it sit. Pried it. Banged it. Hit it over and over. Soaked it... then I heated it. Burned myself. Banged on it. Pulled. Used magic language. It won't budge.

HOW do you get these things off?????

#8 ·
in a pinch, i have welded the nut to the stud (you don't have to run it all the way back down, just enough to make good weld...) get out the biggest impact, and squirt some WD-40 or PB-blaster in the air fitting of the impact (it is like nitrous, or heroin for impacts) and rattle them bastards out of the knuckle... you WERE going to replace the studs, anyway, right? (or at least the ones on the knuckle you are going back on to are good, right?)

peace
Dave

#11 ·
in a pinch, i have welded the nut to the stud (you don't have to run it all the way back down, just enough to make good weld...)
get out the biggest impact,
and rattle them bastards out of the knuckle...
If you have a welder and don't mind throwing away the studs, this is the most reliable way to do it that I've found. Particularly if you're after the steering arm itself--it's possible that you'll end up beating it badly enough to damage it, if you just try to hammer it off.

#12 ·
Maybe that is the way to go. I have a welder, and I don't need these studs... but I would like to reuse the cone washers... I just have to remember which way the studs are threaded-- which direction to turn them...

Or the multi-clamp puller thing-- I think my friend Bob has one.

Thanks guys and a Very Merry Christmas!

#14 ·
I Got It Off!

So Christmas day, I go down with an 8# sledge... and when I look down one of the cone washers is sticking up... and it was loose!. I unthreaded it by hand. I taped on the edge until the others came loose... pretty easily.

I cleaned the arm off with a grinder and wire brush... cleaned the mounting surface on the other axle and torqued it down. The mounting surface on the new axle was painted and I thought about grinding all the paint off... Does anyone know if this paint is going to be a problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.