Pirate 4x4 banner

4wheelin newb

1K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  ProJunkRacing 
#1 ·
Hey guys,im planning on going to the badlands on the 30th.
Just wanted to know what should I bring?What will I need,and any tips on how to go thru out the trails. Ive never been to any trails and would realy like some tips on what to do.Since my truck is stock I wont be doing any hardcore stuff.I just want to go for the fun of the sport.Thanks for any help!

Vehicle: 2006 Reg. Cab Short Bed 1500 4x4 Hemi
ALL STOCK

Pics:

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
You will damage that truck and you will be wanting to go down green bc its the easiest but It has some of the worst break overs in the park. Say good bye to the steps and rockers. As someone who has wheeled the badlands many many many times I say dont do it until you have riden the trails shotgun. Sorry to say that truck is useless outside the mall parking lot.

#16 ·
i agree with the other guys dont do it. espesicaly if you dont have any 4wd driving experience its a bad idea to take a nice stock truck out. plus this time of the year its gona be muddy and street tires dont do much for you in the mud.

#17 ·
Its got Goodyear SR-A's. I was planning on going to the dealer in the morning and see if they can swap my tires with something more off-road freindly. I whent thru some good mud w/ my last ram.It was an 03 Hemi QC and had the 20's. 2wd thru most of the "trail". The wheels were 295's though. This truck has 265's...i think.

#18 ·
After reading this..... dealerships, 20s, SRA's, 265's, 2000+ model years. These words have NO place in the wheelin world. Though I like your intentions, Ive got a buddy who seem just like you. Hes got a 99 4runner limited..... He wanted to come to the cliffs (the badlands will be like spa day compared to the cliffs) I told him to ride shot gun with us first. He was glad he did. But he now beats that truck.

I would be happy to give you a tour of the badlands in my rig in the spring to give you an idea of what its like, if you want.

I suggest coming with us before you go spending 5k on that jeep idea:flipoff2:

#24 · (Edited)
Glad to see you hooked up with someone for a first trip there. Just about the only thing that truck can do without damage is the dunes. PM your address, I'll send a vid I found of Attica.

BTW, I'm about 3 hours from you guys, maybe I'll have my junk done and ready by then and we'll have a little Pirate meet down there.

#26 ·
Yeah dude dont take that truck out there... Hook up with some one that is close to there and ride with them first.... Most of us welcome new wheelers, but not in brand new stockers.... The amount of damage that you would do to a truck like that isnt worth it.. You would be far better of to go get an old toyota pick up or a sammy or even a jeep....... get something that is cheap and off road capable... start with that, get to know more about wheelin, then you can start cutting the dodge up for a straight axle, 35's, lockers, a doubler and the likes....:grinpimp:

#27 ·
Man, I'm glad you have decided against taking that thing out wheeling. I have only seen pics from Badlands and that truck would not come out without damage. Like everyone else says, ride with a few people for a while, get a better idea of what the trails are like by watching/spotting, THEN get yourself a cheap rig to fuck around with.
You sounded so excited to take your truck out there, wich is awsome. But you would probably end up hating the sport after you fucked that Dodge up on the trails.

#33 ·
i picked up a cherokee for $600, ran well, 4.0L that i injected, welded the back got a lunch box locker for the front and came on a 4" rubicon express. i got it home and wheeled the shit out of it just about every weekend

i loved it

#30 ·
Don't be too discouraged, most people build up a rig then have to get a tow vehicle, you started with your tow vehicle, now you can build your rig. Even if you have a stock Jeep, any SWB vehicle is a LOT better stock as far as how much damage you can expect, so you don't HAVE to run out and buy a buggy with 49s to have fun. Even if you want to go get a $400 clunker full size that you won't fret about body damage, you'll have a lot more fun. You shoudl enjoy riding shotgun though, have fun!

#31 ·
Don't listen to these idiots.....fawk I was wheeling my heep in attica with @ 3200 miles on the odometer. :flipoff2:

you would hate that truck there. it would get trashed unless you played with quads in the sand all day.

and if ya'all are getting a Pirate group together for the badlands I'd be interested in attending. I promise you will be surprised what 31"s can do there....:grinpimp:

#32 ·
so we are idiots because we dont like to damage a new expensive truck? i must be missing your logic...

i see pretty good advice in telling him to go out there with someone else first, what happens we he is faced with a situation that will require some body rub and could have avoided it had he know what was ahead

#34 ·
smart move on not taking ur truck out there. it would get torn up really fast. if u want to go, send me a pm and ill see what i can do. im in central indiana about 2 hours away from attica. let me know when any of u are headed over there and ill try to get off work so i can go.

#35 ·
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING TO THESE GUYS!!!! Theres a guy in our club who refused to listen to us when we told him not to take his brand new taco to the badlands. He refused to listen to anyone and while hes managed to keep the truck in pretty good shape he's done quite a bit of damage to it as well. A stock jeep CAN run most of the trails at the badlands but it will get damaged if you do anything fun (ask me how i know haha). I'm in the Purdue offroad club and we're about 20 minutes from attica. If you wanna ride out there sometime go to our website PORC.PURDUE.ORG and in the forums just ask when our next ride is and if you could tag along (Theres someone out there almost every weekend when schools in.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.