Pirate 4x4 banner

Newbe locker question

527 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  pholom 
#1 ·
I just purchased YJ with lockers. This is new to me and trying to figure out the set up. I am in Denver and it won't stop snowing! When I have it in 4h or 4L but do not have the lockers engaged I dont seem to be getting any 4 wheel drive. Is this normal, am I missing something? I need help getting my head out of the snowbank! Thank You.

#2 ·
Are the axles stock? Since you are talking about when you don't have the locker engaged is it safe to assume you have an ARB or OX locker in the front?

The stock Dana 30 on a YJ is switched in and out of 4wd by a vacuum motor moving a locking collar on the passenger side axle shaft. The passenger shaft is two pieces and when you put the transfer case in 4wd it applies vacuum to the motor moving a shift fork and locking the two shafts together.

If you have a selectable locker in the front with a D30 and the vacuum motor is not locking the shafts together you would get the symptom you are describing. With the locker unlocked, the driveshaft would spin but since the carrier is open it would just spin the inner passenger side shaft. With the locker locked, your drivers side tire would be forced to spin.

If you don't have a selectable locker or the stock D30 then I think we might need some more information to go on.

#5 ·
you can lock the shift fork permantly. Just move it over and disconnect the vaccum lines and crap. When in 4wd..does your front axle even engage? How do you know you dont have 4wd?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.