Pirate 4x4 banner

Vin Number for NV4500

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bubba_Jeep 
#1 ·
I am looking for a donor Gm vehicle for engine, trans and 14 bolt. Does anyone know what the vin designation is for the nv4500? I will be shopping in trade mags and ebay, so I won't be able to physically look at the trans.

#3 ·
wouldnt it be easier to sort by "3/4 ton", "1 ton", GMC/Chevy trucks?

they didnt put one in a half ton. if its got a full floater rear end, its probably got the "five speed manual transmission" or the 4l80e "automatic". you could try specifically for 1 tons...say...94-97?

#4 ·
MT8 is also an option code for NV4500. It was available in 1994/95 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton, and 1-ton Models C109, C207, K107, K109, K207, and K209, as well as the "300" series. I think you want to avoid the "heavy duty" trans do to the input shaft size.
Also look at Dodge trucks for just the trans.

#6 · (Edited)
I installed a Dodge 2004 NV4500, behind an SBC, into my '88 Jeep XJ. The input shaft on the Dodge is a little longer than the Chevy input shaft, and the throw-out bearing surface on the front bearing retainer in the Dodge tranny is a little larger OD. The Chevy used an internal slave cylinder in 2004; however, the the Chevy input gear and shaft is interchangeable with the Doge parts, and it's easy to turn down the Dodge front bearing retainer to fit a standard Chevy throw-out bearing. This is what I did (bought parts from Advance Adapters) so that I could install the Dodge tranny, with synchronized reverse and correct bolt pattern for the Jeep transfer case, while using a Chevy bell housing. The output shafts are different. So if you want to stay "GM", then it easier to use the GM NV4500. The basic trans are the same, and the parts can be swapped to make the generic NV4500 fit either application. As I stated, my transfer case (an Atlass) had the "Chrysler" bolt pattern, so I used the Dodge tranny and converted the front end of the tranny to be GM compatible; best of both worlds:smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.