Pirate 4x4 banner

Moon Roof

778 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rocknbronco 
#1 ·
I posted today about two trucks I bought yesterday. Was a 1983 two wheel drive with a good motor and a 1984 4x4 with a bad motor. I was asking about a bed for the 84 but now I cant find my post about that. So I will ask now if anyone has installed a moon roof? The 83 has one and I am thinking of putting it in the 84. I was thinking I would cut it out of the 83 maybe 2 or 3 inches larger than actual size and laying it on the 84 and marking it out then cutting it out. Then figured I would mig weld the moon roof back in, without the glass in while cutting or welding of course. I figured I would skip around while weling not heating up to much at a time, hoping not to warp it too bad. Any of you with more experienc have any pointers on a project like this? Thanks, Stucky

#2 ·
It's not a special cab. Take the sunroof out of the truck, measure the hole you need to make in the other one, cut it, install your sunroof. Go to the dollar store and stock up on cheap towels and prepare for the ensuing madness when you never get a watertight seal again. The best pointer you can get for this project is change the cabs or leave it in the 2wd.

So is the difference between a sunroof and a moonroof the same as the difference between a sunvisor and a moonvisor?

#3 · (Edited)
If you are any good at all at body work you can make it work without leaking, if not, don't even try it,refer to the last post.

#5 ·
I did half of one at school. Seemed strait forward. Cut out the odd shaped sunroof, cut out a smaller hole on the second car, grind to fit, weld, have lots of problems, relize the new roof wont hold the wieght, brace the second roof, new roof wont clear sliding glass, move roof again, weld, grind, add a gallon of mud because we suck, and I left around that point.:D

Unless you are good at body work, OR you want to learn all about it, dont try to start there. Why not just switch cabs? Seems easyer then swapping out engine/tranny/tcase, and doing a front leaf setup on a 2wd.

#9 ·
I've got an old sunroof I salvaged from a van that I was thinking about putting in my '84 Xtracab toy. I've had it for years now, but I just can't bring myself to cut up a perfectly good cab. Has anyone ever installed a used sunroof and NOT have it leak?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.