Pirate 4x4 banner

chevy hubs on my dodge dana 44

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bgaidan 
#1 ·
Ok im kinda confused. Im putting chevy 8 lug hubs onto my stock 5 lug dana 44. What gets me is that the chevy outer axle is shorter then my dodge outer but when i mock everything together..including locking hubs, everything works. I was told i needed the spindle and chevy outer for it to work?

Chevy spindle and dodge spindle is the same length.
chevy outter and dodge inner is Not the same length.

ok thats the first question.

Now i was trying to put on the chevy backing plate (which holds the calipers) onto my dodge axle but the stock caliper bracket holes( the part where the caliper bracket mounts too on the knuckle) are making it so it will not sit flush onto the spindle.
Im thinking of grinding the 2 pieces off, but kinda scared if this all doesnt work i want to be able to put it back to stock.

Thought i would ask before i did some grinding..

thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
If your spindles are the same size (ie. small bearing vs. big bearing) and both discs you shouldn't need to swap them.

A simple rule is that you use the same outer stub from whatever knuckles you're using. If you're swapping the the chevy knuckles and spindles, use the chevy outer. If you're leaving the dodge knuckles and spindles, leave the dodge outer.

If you need to swap the chevy outer shaft you have to press the u-joints out and press it on to the dodge inner. The dodge vs. Chevy inners will not likely be the same length.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.