Pirate 4x4 banner

Oil in coolant

584 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  WHATAHEEP 
#1 · (Edited)
Can anyone give me an idea on how I can get oil into the coolant but not any sign of water in the oil? AMC 258 manual trans less than 10K since rebuild and has been drained and refilled atleast three times since. Absolutley no evidence of water in oil and just pulled the head and the gasket seemed good.

#3 · (Edited)
I suppose that it's possible that your oil pressure was higher than your water pressure, so a small leak in your head gasket allowed oil to seep through but not the water.

If both the head and block checked out, then it almost HAS to be the head gasket... and if the leak/failure was small enough to only allow high pressure seepage, you may not have noticed it when your pulled the gasket.

OH.. And one other thing... Do you have an auto tranny? If you have an automatic transmission with a fluid cooler that uses the main radiator (like many do) you may have a leak internally in the Rad. That would mean that you were actually seeing TRANNY fluid in the water, not oil. If that's the case, you should see some evidence in the tranny fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.