Pirate 4x4 banner

valve stems

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  SteveZ59 
#1 ·
Whats everyone running valve stem wise? I was thinking of using the flush mounted stems like the ones summit sell. Any opinions on these valve stems/better ideas? There going on a set of steelies

#4 ·
I have a set of 3 of those on my truck, 4th one got thrown out when I went to unscrew the cover and the nut on the inside came loose instead. If it wasn't such a pia to dismount the tires they would all be gone.... PS: don't lose the adapter...

Just my $.02

#6 ·
Depends on stem location. On my steelies I have the short rubber ones and I have never cut a stem yet, even wheeling in the rocks all the time. The edges of my rims are chewed all to heck, but where the stems are located it's never been an issue.

Some of the aluminum alloy rims have the stems located closer to the edge and occasionally they get cut by rocks then. On one trail we actually changed a cut one, only to have the same rig cut another one 10 minutes later. It all depends on where the manufacturer located the hole.

One of the guy's I run with runs the flush mounted ones. 1st time out with them he had the exact same thing happen that 49willys did. The SOB turned right out and before we could even hit the trails he ended up having to pull the tire and pop the bead to fix it. He's happy with them overall because he was cutting alot of stems before, but you don't want to bother with the hassle if you don't need them.

I would suggest that you try the shorty rubber ones and carry spares. You can swap a valve stem pretty quickly on the trail if need be. If you start having trouble due to the location, then maybe try some of the gimmicks. One thing to avoid is the metal valve stem caps, especially any of the fancy ones that are bigger than a normal cap. They tend to get caught easier and a metal cap won't just pull off or cut like the plastic ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.