Pirate 4x4 banner

help selecting a fullsize to build a rig

648 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WHITE RHINO 
#1 ·
I wheeled a toyota p/u for several years, but now that I am going to build a fullsize I'm kinda a newbie all over again. I already have the rockwells for it, but other than that I'm starting fresh. I sold the 44's I had in anticipation of putting 49's on this buildup. I'm really just considering the vehicle for it's body, interior, engine and tranni. Everything below/behind that will be removed. I want a newer rig w/ heat/air, power windows, nice interior for the wife & kids. I want third row seating, but I don't want a suburban or excursion, so I've narrowed it down to:

Durango
Tahoe
Expedition

I'm looking at something between 1998 and 2001, price being the primary factor. From what I've seen, I can find any of those models in that year range for what I want to spend.

Any input on these three options from that range of years? Which came with the most reliable/best all around engine (of course, much of that is opinion, but I'm up for hearing opinions)? Which came with the best/most bulletproof/lowest geared tranni? Are any/all of the tranni's that they came with easily adaptable to an Atlas, or should I consider swapping tranni's?

thanks for any input for this fullsize newbie!

See less See more
#6 ·
The expedition would be interesting. i don't know much about the tahoe or the durango, but here is what i know about the expedition (i own one)

Pigs, really heavy.
Good motor, 5.4 has lots of power. I used mine to tow my rig to the rubicon from seattle. (some early models had issues ejecting spark plugs)

3rd row seats

you will need to change the xfer case at minimum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.