Pirate 4x4 banner

What is the hands down best tire?

3K views 56 replies 36 participants last post by  snowmnky 
#1 ·
I live in the forests of oregon so i see all kinds of stuff. Mostly mud but I do see rocks and snow maybe sand, but mostly mud and climbing muddy ass hills.

What is the best tire out there? road wear is not a concern.

I've heard good thing about mickey thompson baja claws and baja crushers.

what do you guys say?

#8 ·
Damnit, I got too much love for the IROKs. Lightweight, the BEST in the rocks, cant tear it for anything but it flexes like crazy. and definately holds its own in the mud... just my .02

#9 · (Edited)
I have to agree. In my experience wheelin in the NE, Iroks stick to the rocks better, flex better, clean out in the mud better, and i belive they are lighter than TSLs & SXs too. I ran them in 36*13.5 on 15*10s and their performance was excellent. Def a good tire/rim combo. A little balloney, but they worked very well, which is why i bought another set of em (42s) after the one-ton swap.

SXs have a great sidewall, but IMO the iroks have a better tread design (i dont believe in buying a tire if you have to groove it to get it to work like another tire), and they dont come in big enough sizes. Plus they are heavy! Forget about the Claws, from what ive seen they dont work in the mud all that well unless you really spin em. Pretty much any Swamper seems to self-clean alot easier, which from your description sounds like something youre gonna need.

#10 ·
It's between the boggers and the IROKs

I'd prefer something lighter (I like my stock axles and diffs) but I'd also like something that will go through mud pits and ruts better than any other tire. But i'd like an all around tire vs a strictly a mud tire which is what i worry about with the bogger. How do they hold up with everything else other than muddin?

#13 ·
x2, I love boggers, but thats the loudest, fastest wearing, worst perfromance street tire in production, but you cant beat it offroad (ESPECIALLY in the mud)

#18 ·
I had boggers before my irocs, and found that in the east, the irocks really didnt lack too much in the mud over the boggers. and where they did, they make up for it in flex and greasy traction, and overall manners. Im now selling the irocs, to go to a larger iroc.

#21 · (Edited)
My concerns mainly are:

1. Not breaking my running gear
2. Not blowing a tire out. I live in a place with many trees and roots and rocks that hide in the mud. Will I really split an IROK that much easier than a bogger?

and why TSL vs bogger? the bogger seems to have a better tread design for mud, why a TSL vs a bogger?

#22 ·
I've run 42"/44" TSL's and 44" Boggers for 20 years. There are no times in mud and snow that I wished I had a TSL instead of the bogger. On the highway the TSL is a smoother ride though my boggers aren't bad - no problem cruising 65-70. Spin balanced or Equal - about the same.

Go to the local 4wheel Parts for your tires - I saved about $150 clams a piece compared to my local tire shop.

#24 · (Edited)
Where do you live at?

Wheeling around here its all trail runs and muddy logging roads. Boggers are the preferd choice as long as your not sidehilling alot on mud(like browns camp alot). TSL/SX/LTB's are the next best IMO. After that people get some IROKS for road manners. Past that and your talking about a road tire.

Xterrains SUCK!! I have pulled out a dozen people on the snow with them IN THE ROAD!!!! Not shitting you. My baldys work better on the snow roads then xterrains.

#26 ·
I have never tried Iroks but I think Boggers rule:smokin:
I had Boggers for 4 years and with only 150hp diesel and sidehilling in snow too Boggers still rule:smokin: :smokin:
Running 5 psi front and 4 in the rear the truck weighs about 6600 lbs daily driver and the boggers I have now has been there for almost 2 years:grinpimp:

#28 · (Edited)
I live up around mt hood. Mt hood national forest is one mile away from my parents house. What driveterrain do you have? Boggers are fun, but they put alot of stress on stuff. LTBs have alot of tread, but wear quickly on the road. TSL's are good. SX's are good also. My next set of tires will be 44 boggers on my Willys, as they do everything better around here then the TSL's IMO. Everyone got TSL's when they had to drive to work on the same tires.

Mabye a browns camp expert can chime in, but the video I have seen at browns camp 90% of the vehicles with boggers were getting stuck in the 5 foot deep muck. So it really doesnt matter. THen there was a video where somone had to sidehill with boggers and he spun a bunch and almost went down a hill/cliff thingy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.