Pirate 4x4 banner

Ground Hawg tires any good? If so how come everyone runs other super swampers...

15K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Halogrinder 
#1 · (Edited)
like boggers and tsl's and ltb's etc. I am considering getting a set of the radial ground hawg II's for my Toyota Tacoma but do not know much about them and how they compare to other tires. I'll be doing just general 4x4 stuff and mud and clay and trying to climb slick hills etc. The mtr tires I have right now, which are like new, are crap IMO. Thanks for any and all opinions.

I have searched for any info I can get on these tires, but there isn't much out there. I guess because they don't look cool or maybe they just do not perform?

#4 ·
Theyll definitely work better than the MTRs in the mud!
They are a very stiff tire, and will wear like iron on the road. Especially under a light-weight Toyota. Probably wont do so well in rocks since they are so stiff (never seen anyone try). But for a street truck thats only gonna see light wheelin, theyll work well and probably last forever.

#6 ·
My buddy is on his 2nd set of 38" radials. He gets good life out of them, not as good as I get out of my BFG MT's, but better than his brother who runs TSL radials. Every time he takes them offroad however he ends up getting pulled out. From our experience the BFG's and the TSLs both have done better in general offroad conditions (sand, dirt hills, mud, etc...). Just remember, with directional tires, once you can't go forward any more, your pretty much stuck :flipoff2:

I would never buy them personally, but my friend runs them because he rarely goes offroad and likes the way they look, and for how aggressive they look they do wear very well on the road.

Chris

#8 · (Edited)
The guys I used to mud with ran them backwards, said it got them out of must of the holes they got in. They also said you had to spin them a lot faster for the lugs to self clean compared to boggers. Prolly becuase they were on backwards though :rolleyes: . I would say they do better than bfg MTs and the TSLs in mud not as good as the boggers. Again VERY stiff tire and didnt hold a bead aswell at low psi.

Charlo

#17 ·
The guys I used to mud with ran them backwards, said it got them out of must of the holes they got in. They also said you had to spin them a lot faster for the lugs to self clean compared to boggers. Prolly becuase they were on backwards though :rolleyes: .

Boggers take the most tirespeed to self-clean of any of the aggressive mud tires (well, Bigger Diggers are worse, but obviously you can't run them on the street :laughing: ), but they also move the most mud. TSL's self-clean much easier, Ground Hawgs are closer to TSL's in self-cleaning ability, but don't bite as hard.

#13 ·
Mainly what I have head bout them is that they work good if you have the hp to spin them. ie puttin em on our 4cyl they suck. Like already posted they wear great but don't perform as well as swampers

#18 ·
my hawgs (38 inch radials) need quite a bit of wheel speed to keep them clean. when they turn into donuts from being packed from mud, im fawked. normally 3rd gear low range on my ford gives me plenty of wheel speed, and the engine has more than enough power to zing them to redline quickly. i originally didnt like them, but now i dont mind them at all. i want to go to some skinny boggers like my landcruiser, but need to find someone to buy my hawgs first.

#19 ·
I have always said along with others friends.
They were great and mud and rock , in deeper snow the better.
Believe it or not, you can probably get a good 80,000 miles or more from this mud Tire.Because I did.
go in reverse is not a problem, but with these tires you can plow through a mud hole. No need for reverse..

#21 ·
I have always said along with others friends.
They were great and mud and rock , in deeper snow the better.
Believe it or not, you can probably get a good 80,000 miles or more from this mud Tire.Because I did.
go in reverse is not a problem, but with these tires you can plow through a mud hole. No need for reverse..
Please see your way out. You joined to respond to a thread that died in 2007 about a tire that has been long forgotten and it’s so good it’s not being made anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.