Pirate 4x4 banner

can i hammer carrier bearings on?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GA86yota 
#1 ·
i know the best way to do it is with a press, but it's sunday (local shop closed) and i would like to finish throwing together my d60 front today.

#2 ·
back before i had a press and had to figure out anyway I could to get things back together i would use the hot/cold method. You could put your carrier in the freezer and heat your bearings in coffee can of gear oil on a hot plate or stove eye and maybe get it way with. What exactly are you doing? Are you setting up gears etc? if you are you won't be able to remove the bearings to add or remove shims if setting a ring and pinion up

#3 ·
I've done it that way before in a jam, no problems. I used a piece of tubing or thin walled socket that fits on the inner race of the bearing when I pounded them on so you dont damage the rollers. It helps on a used carrier to lightly sand the surface the bearing will press on to. I had a large vise at one time that I could fit a carrier into and use short peices of tube to press on the inner race and cranked the vise with a cheater bar. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

#4 ·
thanks guys. i think i'm gonna give the hot/cold method a shot. i'm throwing in a full detroit. i've already got everything shimmed up(used "set-up" bearings) and pattern checked. i just need to throw the new bearings on.

#6 ·
hot/cold trick worked quite well. thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.