Pirate 4x4 banner

Complete noob.

925 views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Fozzy_Bear 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently (within the past month) have become very, very interested into the world of, lets just say trucks? first some background information, I am 17 years old, I've only had two previous cars, 1st, 1994 Cherokee, it was a pile of shit, lasted me about 4 months, 2nd 1991 Honda EF hatch, great car...but it was a car, oh and I totaled it, but thats a different, more embarrassing story. I am not a jeep fan by any means from my previous experience, I would rather not get near another one. oh and just to make sure you all know, I pretty much know shit right now, but I'm learning.... I'm looking for something that I can take too the sand pit and not get all stuck and fucked over, and I go to the outer banks every year so I want it to be beach capable as well. I've always been a fan of older Toyota pickups but I'm sure you all can help me out on this, maybe. Oh a few more things, it needs to be street legal because my other car, a 93 EG Civic will be my other car, which is the daily driver, AND the car I take to the track, I have a limited budget about 3k for the truck its self, then another 10k give or take, well probably take. And lastly I have no means of custom fabricating parts, but I will be attending a program at school next year in which i will either be taking Manufacturing Technology, or Welding and Fabrication (http://paths.portlandschools.org/).

So fill me on in with what I should get for around 10k(USD)

See less See more
#2 ·
an older nissan truck is one of the best bases you can start with so you have a good idea with that. since you dont have much experience you should at a minimum get something thats still road worthy (have someone who knows what they're looking at help if you dont know what to look for). it sounds like you should be fine on budget as long as you dont want anything too big. btw the link to the truck you liked didn't work for me.

one thing you really need to make sure you do is get the proper tools. its easiest to just drop a large chunk of change and get a complete set of wrenches and sockets up front than to try and patch something together as you go. also, get the best manual you can buy for whichever model you get. buy a star for $20 and search your ass off because you can find basically any answer to questions and if you cant and have to ask then at least you dont sound like an ass :D

start small with whatever you go with and wheel the balls off of the thing. if you decide you like it then upgrade from there but make sure you actually like the hobby before you go completely into it.....its too damn expensive to figure out after that you dont like it

#4 ·
I wont knock the Nismo but I would say go with Toyota for parts are easier to find and off roading isnt out of the price range of most college students both are cheaper buys.Also you will have less of a hassle finding hard core off roading parts,nothing wrong if you plan on fabbing you own stuff.I just find it much better in a Toya than in the Nismos I have owned in the past.

#7 ·
Get an old Toyota. I owned several Nissan's, there is not much of an aftermarket for them, although that is getting better. The thing with an old Toyota is they are easy as hell to work on, tons of parts available, and very reliable. Everybody and their dog has Toyota parts laying around, easy and cheap to find.

#8 ·
I've had 5 4x4's since I was your age. Three of them have been toyota's and I honestly believe they're the best bang for your buck. They're built strong from the factory, have plenty of room for tires if you cut/bash (even more if you tub the front). They're fairly light and there is a huge amount of aftermarket support for them.

#10 · (Edited)
I'd recommend the Toyota if your on a budget.

Things to think about: whether you want IFS or Solid front axle.
Do some searches on the years.
I think they're solid until 85, 86 up is IFS.
Fuel Injection started in 85. So, 85 are sought after (please double check the years).

If your going to be sticking to sand & beach, then IFS might not make that big of a difference. If you want to rocks and other stuff, look into the solid.

Before you buy, do lots & lots of research.
Decide ahead of time what you want. Don't jump on the first offer, be patient. Its easy to make a hack job look really cool for a novice, so do more research.

Sounds like your handy & want to learn. Thats a good start.
Try & find others that have learned & don't mind you hanging out.
Avoid the bling bling big truck lift kit whorehouses, unless you want to spend lots of $$$ for stuff serious folks will laugh at.

#13 ·
Toyota, with the wealth of info on this board, You should be able to build a kickass street legal Toy for cheap. Keep an eye out in the classifieds on here for parts. Oh and welcome to pirate :flipoff2:

#14 · (Edited)
If sand is your thing, I'd look no further than a Ford Ranger pickup (well, I probably wouldn't look no further for any type of wheeling, since that's what I already have lol)

The Twin-Beam front suspensions on Rangers will let you sail that thing from dune-to-dune, soaking up the landings with ease. They are pretty cheap to build on, too (and have lots of go-fast bolt-on goodies available).

Getting the Ranger to crawl rocks well is a little tougher though, simply because crawling bolt-ons aren't out there like for the Toyota, you may need to fab some stuff, play with the spring rates and add extended shocks and what-not before you'll get much flex from it. But again, not a ton of $$$ will be needed, just a bit of fab time.

Oh, on the Toyota years thing...
'85 was the 1st EFI year (and was optional that year on pickups, std on 4Runner IIRC)
'86 was when the IFS came about.

#16 ·
i just picked up a good running 82 with a perfect frame and body. after selling the tires, wheels and work bed off of it i should only have about $400 in it. go with a yota or try to find something already built. if you have 3k for the truck and 10k for the build i would consider spending a little more on the purchase of the truck. you can build them a lot easier if you start with a good solid base. just my opinion...

#17 · (Edited)
Sweet, Thanks for all this help everyone.

I'm planing on doing tires, and the suspension.

I would really like to know some good sites for aftermarket stuff, anything from body parts, to axles, I'm down just give me some links.

What are some good sand tires that wouldn't be too shitty for street driving, try to keep it cheap. Oh, and wheels.

#18 ·
If you want 15" wheels, go junkyard diving. You could probably pick up stock Toyota steelies for a few bucks a peice. Otherwise, check Jegs or Summit. US Wheels (I think that's what they are?) has some 15" steels for under $50 a peice. Go Toyota, listen to what everyone is saying. I'm running some 32" BFGs right now with no lift, although a flatbed on the rear. By the looks of it, 33's would fit with no lift on the front (IFS). Good luck!

#19 ·
for ten grand you could have a bad ass yota crawler
Yota-$2000
Dana 60s locked 35 splined $4000
linked front and rear with coil overs $2000
dual cases with 4.7 in front $2000
= bad A very rough pricing by the way good luck bro!

#20 ·
Plus tires, brakes, driveshafts, steering and every other nickle and dime crap he'll go through... :flipoff2:

Thats the problem with PBB, you come wanting a capable behicle and leave with a comp buggy and 20K owed to Johnn the Bull, the bookie down the street.:eek:

If you just got interested in the last month, theres SOOO much to leanr. Spend the next few months reading every post in the nissan, yota, and newbie boards, see what you learn and what you really want. it'll save you A LOT of money, so will a red star too...

#21 ·
I am all about the yotas, but it sounds like you are going to be running mainly sand. I would go with something with a little more hp. A yota with 33'' should really have 4.88 gears thrown in. You could pick up a full size throw 33'' on it and not have a problem. In my opinion sand/mud need hp and to get power cheap start with a v8. If you wanna crawl gears and flex are what you need. That is a yota strong point. Easy flex with stock springs. Just my $.02

#22 ·
i just came back into this thread to see whats up and i realized i made a dumb ass mistake in the second post of the thread. i said and old nissan truck when i really meant a toyota. i dno wtf i was thinking. im glad everyone jumped in with info so you didn't act on my typo :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.