Pirate 4x4 banner

Shackle length ???'s

592 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  chadburgin 
#1 ·
Im pickin up a 60 this weekend and have a few questions about the shackles....

First off for a little background, its on a 86 cj and the shackles i have now give the jeep 1 1/4" lift. the way my buddy and I made the first shackle reversal was pretty butch, wheelbase was shorter and it sits talllll. the shackles are about an 1 1/2" up on the frame. The thing will flex with the best of them but I think that it is just to tall. After driving it a bit with that flex i have to admit that it was pretty cool (for a leaf spring vehicle anyways) and would like to keep it that way.

So, when i get my 60 i want to do the shackle reversal right and keep the lift to a minimum from where it was before the shackle reversal. so how much does shackle length matter? a long shackle will allow for more flex but just how much? not to mention the more forces on it being longer so strenght can come in consideration. If I keep the same length shackle that I do now, i could move it up on the frame, but would it hit the frame at all when the axle articulates? Shorter seems the way to go, most leaf spring rigs on here are running them from what i see but would like to hear what other people think about this. I guess, if you dont want to read the novel,:flipoff2:

what is the ideal shackle length???

See less See more
#2 ·
i would keep the shackles in front if this is going to be mostly offroad. the reversal gives the rig better road manners but keeping them up front works better offroad IMHO...

but shackle length depends on a lot in the front. caster, lift, etc... so each vehicle would be a little different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.